Chebucto Community Net
Board Minutes
May 18, 1999


Start 6:30 P.M., Adjourned 8:30 P.M.

  • Michael Colborne
  • Leo Deveau
  • Bernie Hart
  • Joyline Makani
  • Doug McCann
  • David Murdoch
  • Susan Newhook
  • Krista Olmstead
  • Richard Rudnicki
  • Andrew D. Wright
  • Peter Morgan
  • Sharon Parker

Urban CAP

          Bernie Hart reported that Joanne Fraser has completed working on the Community Access Program Power Point presentation. Her next projects are the preparation of a brochure and carrying out focus group sessions. David raised a concern that CCN should ensure its presence on the oncoming Urban Cap focus groups.

          Action: It was agreed that time will be set aside at the next Board meeting to discuss CCN's participation on the Community Access Program Greater Halifax Partnership.

Executive Director

          Richard reported that a contract has been negotiated between CCN and the executive director. Discussion ensued on whether CCN had enough money to cover the executive director's salary.

          Action: Michael agreed to ask Sharon to present to the Board a forecasted budget for this fiscal year.

          Richard recommended that the Board approves the contract.

          Motion: David moved to accept Richard's recommendation. Krista seconded. All in favour. Andrew abstained.

          Motion: Richard moved that CCN Board hire Leo Deveau as Executive Director and make the offer in the contract. Joyline seconded. All in favour. Andrew abstained.

          Richard will spent half a day orientating Leo to CCN as part of his paid contract for the executive director search. Richard also agreed to provide the Board with a written report on his fundraising work.

Charitable Status

          Sue reported on the information she collected on the effect charitable status has on other community nets. She will pass on the financial information to Sharon and Leo.

          Discussion ensued on the question of what percentage of CCN's membership fees is donation or service.

          Motion: Sue moved to let Leo and Sharon sit down and look into this issue. David seconded. All in favour.

CCN Office

          There was discussion on the operations of the office at Dalhousie since Doug had indicated that he was going to leave at the end of the week.

          Action: Michael agreed to talk to Doug.

Provincial Server

          Peter gave a background report of the provincial server project. David reported that he is currently working on a plan on how to approach this issue. David agreed to bring to the next meeting the proposal that has been written for the provincial server project.

CCN-CAP Site Relationship

          David reiterated on the need for CCN to strengthen its relationship with the CAP sites and constantly defining and reviewing the basis of our partnerships.

          David also reported that CCN had got funding from HRDC for hiring staff to work in the CAP sites with the main purpose of helping people to access Chebucto.

VDN Fees

          Doug reported that a number of IPs had raised some concerns with CCN's VDN services. They want to know the basis of the VDN fees. Peter gave a brief explanation of how the fee structure came to be.

          Action: Doug agreed to further discuss the VDN issue with the IPs after having gathered the necessary information and history of CCN's VDN service.

Board page

          Action: Andrew agreed to update the Board page.

Other Business


  • Michael agreed to take care of introducing Leo to the CCN members.


  • Doug has created a forms archives page.

          Next meeting: Tuesday June 8, 6:30 pm at the School of Occupational Therapy, Forrest Building, Room 205, Dalhousie University.

Back to the Board minutes page