Excerpts from an agreement between S O C A N and C W D I A

From CWDIA Web Site - Feb. 3, 2003

Regarding Tariff 19:

It has been agreed that callers, cuers and clubs share a joint responsibility to ensure that each performance is licensed. This can be achieved either by ensuring that only licensed callers are employed, or that the club obtains its own licence.

Regarding Tariff 8:

There are some events that are clearly classes or regular dances, and other events that are clearly special dances or parties. The problem SOCAN and CWDIA has been wrestling with is where to draw the line between the two. Discussions focused on creating some criteria that we could all agree upon that would specify what was a Tariff 8 dance, and what was a regular Tariff 19 class and teaching situation. In some cases, we have agreed that very unusual events should be dealt with one by one to ensure fairness. In others, SOCAN has agreed to rely upon the good faith of each club or association.

The following points have been agreed upon:

  1. A special dance is one where tickets are sold, advertising is distributed, non-club members are invited, is not in place of or related to a regular club dance (i.e. not on or in place of a regular club night or at a normal club location) and/or a major association, provincial or national event. Multi-day events should be raised with SOCAN directly.
  2. Club theme dances, (such as Hallowe'en, Christmas, Wind Up, etc.) are not special dances if held on or in place of a regular night for club members.
  3. Where clubs join together on a night because they dance on the same night, or one caller is sick, or a hall is not available - this would not be considered a special dance.
  4. Husbands &Wives, Guest Callers
    1. Husband and wife who work together on the same evening, in the same hall need only one Tariff 19 licence. However, if they instruct individually, in different halls or on different evenings then they each need a licence.
    2. Guest callers calling for a full evening must have a Tariff 19 licence.
  5. Where a square dance instructor and a round dance instructor are hired under separate contracts for the evening then they both need a Tariff 19 licence.
  6. A licensed instructor who is teaching or encouraging a person to learn the art of instructing may include the student in the programme on an occasional basis and that student does not need a licence until such time as the student is instructing a full evening on his own.
  7. Promotional dances in public buildings to promote square dancing are covered under Tariff 19.
  8. No licence is required to perform in Seniors homes or nursing homes.
  9. No additional licence is required to perform in parades - the organizer of the parade should have a Tariff 10 licence.
  10. No additional licence is required for events sponsored by city recreational centres as these are licensed under Tariff 21.
  11. Demonstrations at exhibitions are the responsibility of the operators and are covered under Tariff 5.
  12. In areas where regular callers are not available, and tape or record instruction is used, the club may obtain a Tariff 19 licence.
  13. Under normal circumstances, a licence is not needed for dancing in your own home.
  14. Workshops at a normally scheduled Association Meeting do not need a Tariff 8 licence if the instructor is licensed under Tariff 19 (providing it excludes events to which Item 1 applies).
  15. A regular dance, in the regular hall, that has an afternoon workshop and it continues into the evening with a review of the workshop material is not a special dance (no tickets sold).
  16. NOTE: While we understand there have been staff changes at SOCAN from the time the above was discussed and the above points agreed on, it would appear that the 15 points simply clarify where the application of Tariffs apply or not. (John Sellers March 13, 2003)