[NatureNS] Gyrfalcon

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:57:05 +0000

--_f8186a1d-6cf5-43eb-8fbc-cdacde384c40_

While out slugging snow this morning I had a nice treat and added two new s=
pecies to my yard list as well as one to my overall winter list, and Lunenb=
urg Co. Winter List.
=20
There was a lot of bird activity and a bald eagle passing over put large nu=
mbers of ducks and gulls up on two occasions.   All of a sudden the fear of=
 god was put into every bird in sight, both large and small.  I assumed tha=
t it must be the bald eagle making a third pass and then I noticed a large =
falcon in pursuit of some ducks and then rock pigeons.  My first impression=
 was a peregrine falcon, but upon closer scrutiny I noticed that the falcon=
 was too chunky for a peregrine and the tail far longer than one would find=
 in a peregrine.  The bird made a second pass close overhead and then swung=
 out over the bay in the direction of Crescent Beach.  There is no doubt in=
 my mind as to the bird being a gyr.  Have others noticed that a gyrfalcon =
seems to put greater fear into every bird in the area, whereas a bald eagle=
 only seems to put fear into larger species?
=20
The other bird new to my yard list here in Dublin Shore was a flock of snow=
 buntings flying overhead.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

--_f8186a1d-6cf5-43eb-8fbc-cdacde384c40_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
While out slugging snow this morning I had a nice treat and added two new s=
pecies to my yard list as well as one to my overall winter list, and Lunenb=
urg Co. Winter List.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
There was a lot of bird activity and a bald eagle passing over put large nu=
mbers of ducks and gulls up on two occasions.&nbsp;&nbsp; All of a sudden t=
he fear of god was put into every bird in sight, both large and small.&nbsp=
; I assumed that it must be the bald eagle making a third pass and then I n=
oticed a large falcon in pursuit of some ducks and then rock pigeons.&nbsp;=
 My first impression was a peregrine falcon, but upon closer scrutiny I not=
iced that the falcon was too chunky for a peregrine and the tail far longer=
 than one would find in a peregrine.&nbsp; The bird made a second pass clos=
e overhead and then swung out over the bay in the direction of Crescent Bea=
ch.&nbsp; There is no doubt in my mind as to the bird being a gyr.&nbsp; Ha=
ve others noticed that a gyrfalcon seems to put greater fear into every bir=
d in the area, whereas a bald eagle only seems to put fear into larger spec=
ies?<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The other bird new to my yard list here in Dublin Shore was a flock of snow=
 buntings flying overhead.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_f8186a1d-6cf5-43eb-8fbc-cdacde384c40_--