[NatureNS] Fireflies

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:50:21 -0300

:&lt;sp

--Apple-Mail-512--537263288

Hi Paul & Mary,

On 15-Jul-08, at 12:55 PM, Paul S. Boyer wrote:

> It is possible that you have two different species, because the =20
> various species have different flashing- and flying signals.  Some =20
> glow while flying upwards, and some just blink.

It's very likely that these do represent two species. All =20
bioluminescent fireflies have a repertoire of flashing patterns =20
meaning different things, as many as 21 different signal patterns for =20=

some species of Photuris. In all species males fly and emit flashing =20
contact patterns. Females sit on perches (typically on the ground), =20
and if interested, flash back at the males with a different female =20
contact pattern. Males then change their flashing pattern ("I've =20
received your message and am approaching for a landing.").

These patterns are very regular in structure but are temperature =20
dependent (i.e., the cooler it is, the slower the pattern is emitted) =20=

and are further complicated by density. At high densities males of =20
some species will flash in synchrony. Furthermore in some species male =20=

patterns change over the course of the evening. For instance males in =20=

the genus Photuris will start off the evening emitted short-duration =20
single flashes, but within a half-hour change to the short-long (dot-=20
dash) pattern that is their characteristic contact pattern.

If you look carefully at night (once your eye has adjusted to the =20
dark) you can also see colour differences. The light from species in =20
the genus Photinus  (P. aquilonis, P. ardens, and P. obscurellus in =20
NS) is generally yellow; that of Photuris  (P. fairchildi and P. =20
pennsylvanica in NS) is green; and that of Pyractomena (P. angulata, =20
P. borealis, and P. linearis in NS) is orange-yellow or amber.

> The females, which look partially developed and somewhat grub-like, =20=

> lie in the grass giving off faint glow, to signal the males of their =20=

> presence.

This is only partially true. In some species of lampyrids the females =20=

are so-called larviform, notably in the genera Pleotomus and =20
Pleotomodes, in some species of Photinus, and in Lucidota luteicollis =20=

and Pyractomena nigricans. With the exception of Pyractomena =20
nigricans, which has been recorded in New Brunswick although not in =20
Nova Scotia, none of the others occur in this region. These females =20
resemble larvae in their appearance, have no wings, and cannot fly. =20
Females of other species are brachypterous, i.e. they have reduced =20
wings and cannot fly, although they otherwise look like normal adult =20
beetles. In most species of fireflies, the females are not larviform, =20=

look like adults and are capable of flight.

In the introduced species, Phosphaenus hemipterus (Fourcroy), both =20
males and females are larviform, although there is no evidence at the =20=

moment that this species has persisted in Nova Scotia.

> There is also a species of female who sends false signals to attract =20=

> males of other species, and then grabs and devours them when they =20
> land.  And there is even more!
>
> Some years ago, I was trying to photograph lightning bugs, and saw =20
> what appeared to be such a glowing female, and then noticed a male's =20=

> soft light as he descended to meet her.  I was eager to record the =20
> courtship, and threw myself on the ground, frantically adjusting =20
> camera and flash in order to catch the moment.  I focused so quickly =20=

> that I did not really take time to watch what was going on.
>
> When my film was developed, I was amazed to find, instead of =20
> courtship, simple predation =97 but in this case a large-species male =20=

> was chewing up a male of a smaller species.  Somewhere I have the =20
> picture.  I have never read of male lightning bugs luring other =20
> males, but this is apparently what I have recorded, on film somewhere.

This would certainly be a female Photuris pennsylvanica (DeGeer) =20
preying on the male of another species. If you can find the image, I =20
might be able to identify which one! No male fireflies are predaceous =20=

on other fireflies.

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka
Nova Scotia Museum, 1747 Summer St., Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada  B3H =20=

3A6
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-512--537263288

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi Paul &amp; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div>It is possible that =
you have two different species, because the various species have =
different flashing- and flying signals. &nbsp;Some glow while flying =
upwards, and some just =
these do represent two species. All bioluminescent fireflies have a =
repertoire of flashing patterns meaning different things, as many as 21 =
different signal patterns for some species of <i>Photuris</i>. In all =
species males fly and emit&nbsp;flashing contact patterns. Females sit =
on perches (typically on the ground), and if interested, flash back at =
the males with a different female contact pattern. Males then change =
their flashing pattern ("I've received your message and am approaching =
regular in structure but are temperature&nbsp;dependent (i.e., the =
cooler it is, the slower the pattern is emitted) and are further =
complicated by density. At high densities males of some species will =
flash in synchrony. Furthermore in some species male patterns change =
over the course of the evening. For instance males in the genus =
<i>Photuris</i> will start off the =
evening&nbsp;emitted&nbsp;short-duration single flashes, but within a =
half-hour change to the short-long (dot-dash) pattern tha