[NatureNS] Mink

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:25:47 EDT
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1216747547

I just had an interesting encounter with two mink. In the middle of the  road
near Fox Point there was a mink trying to drag a dead mink to the side of
the road which was also the shore line. I stopped and the live mink stayed quite
 close while I placed the clearly dead mink by the rocks near the shore but
eventually it went into the grass . I had a short errand to run down the road
and when I returned 5 minutes later the dead mink was gone. Both mink were
the  same size and did not appear to be full grown. Mink are very common around
the  cove and it is relatively common to see them carry their young around
but  I have never before seen one pulling another off the road.
For those interested in the Bay, we are seeing huge numbers of small
mackerel this year. The resident Harbour porpoises, usually 3 or 4 ,are  regularly
outside the cove feeding and there are already some Tuna in the  pens.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

-------------------------------1216747547

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16681" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D3>
<DIV>I just had an interesting encounter with two mink. In the middle of the=
=20
road near Fox Point there was a mink trying to drag a dead mink to the side=20=
of=20
the road which was also the shore line. I stopped and the live mink stayed q=
uite=20
close while I placed the clearly dead mink by the rocks near the shore but=20
eventually it went into the grass . I had a short errand to run down the roa=
d=20
and when I returned 5 minutes later the dead mink was gone. Both mink were t=
he=20
same size and did not appear to be full grown. Mink are very common around t=
he=20
cove and it is relatively common to see them carry their young around&nbsp;=20=
but=20
I have never before seen one pulling another off the road.</DIV>
<DIV>For those interested in the Bay, we are seeing huge numbers of small=20
mackerel this year. The resident Harbour porpoises, usually 3 or 4 ,are=20
regularly outside the cove feeding and there are already some Tuna in the=20
pens.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards</DIV></FONT>   </BODY></HTML>