[NatureNS] Water Pipit?

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:41:53 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_68212_21018942.1216770113683

Hi Ian,

Are there Water Pipits around here?  -- Yes, but ....

Water Pipits do indeed behave like you describe, but would be pretty unusual
in mid-July. They tend to occur in small flocks in Spring (rare) and later
in Fall (Sept. etc.), when they are quite common in open areas- usually
coastal. However, I can't really think of any other bird that would behave
like that and also be present at this time of year, so you're probably
right. I might be able to get up to Ross Creek myself tomorrow morning.
Incidentally, what used to be called Water Pipit in N.America (Anthus
rubescens) is now called American Pipit here, and Buff-bellied Pipit in
Europe. There is another bird (Anthus spinoletta) now called Water Pipit in
Europe, that doesn't occur here. They all look pretty well identical anyway!

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_68212_21018942.1216770113683

caught my eye at the Ross Creek Centre for the Arts today. They were flitting
about the long grass and making a strange call I hadn&#39;t heard before. Looking in
my field guide the bird that looks/sounds/acts most like them seems to be the
Water Pipit. The tail wagging/flicking was quite striking. I will be taking my
binos and camera out there tomorrow to make sure or at least get some images so
the learned people on this list can set me straight. They were a little shy so
hard to get close enough for a real good look today.</font></div>
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com<br>################### </div> ------=_Part_68212_21018942.1216770113683--