[NatureNS] Birding today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 02:01:13 +0000

--_898b6cfb-ad2f-4041-b5cf-92c362cdaab6_

Dorothy Poole=2C Peter McLeod=2C Pat Gladman and I took a run to Cape Sable=
 Island today.  We had a wonderful day with about 52 species seen by all of=
 us and Dorothy had an additional half dozen or so at her place in Milton. =
=20
=20
A large thank you goes to Murray for giving me another life bird.  We had v=
isited the location of the great-crested flycatcher earlier and it was not =
present.  Murray let us know that it had returned and as a result I was fin=
ally able to see one of these birds.  After chasing after such species for =
24 years I managed to at last obtain great close up looks.  This year I als=
o made many attempts at seeing a black-crowned night heron.  Of all places =
to finally spot one=2C we watched four fly over Garfield's yard.  So thank =
you again Murray.  A life bird and a year bird in one stop.
=20
Thank you also for the updates on the fork-tailed flycatcher as we all got =
great looks at this bird also today.
=20
Other finds not included in other postings.  There was a vesper sparrow=2C =
that all four of my party saw at the end of the Hawk=2C where the house was=
 that was torn down.  This bird was on the edge of the grass and finally af=
ter quite a few attempts=2C stayed up long enough for us to get a positive =
id.
=20
Unconfirmed at this point is a possible western sandpiper.  Three of us des=
ignated the id as such for the sandpiper that we observed.   Photos were ta=
ken and if the results come back positive=2C I will post the location where=
 this particular bird was observed.  If the results come back negative=2C t=
han I will also let you know what was determined.
=20
Of interest.  At Bacarro=2C alongside the road in a pond was a female wood =
duck.  This is the first wood duck that I have seen in that location.
=20
Also at Bacarro were two ruby-crowned kinglet and a blue-headed vireo. =20
=20
At Cape Sable Island an osprey is a late one.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
=20
=20
=20
=20

--_898b6cfb-ad2f-4041-b5cf-92c362cdaab6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Dorothy Poole=2C Peter McLeod=2C Pat Gladman and I took a run to Cape Sable=
 Island today.&nbsp=3B We had a wonderful day with about 52 species seen by=
 all of us and Dorothy had an additional half dozen or so at her place in M=
ilton.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A large thank you goes to Murray for giving me another life bird.&nbsp=3B W=
e had visited the location of the great-crested flycatcher earlier and it w=
as not present.&nbsp=3B Murray let us know that it had returned and as a re=
sult I was finally able to see one of these birds.&nbsp=3B After chasing af=
ter such species for 24 years I managed to at last obtain great close up lo=
oks.&nbsp=3B This year I also made many attempts at seeing a black-crowned =
night heron.&nbsp=3B Of all places to finally spot one=2C we watched four f=
ly over Garfield's yard.&nbsp=3B So thank you again Murray.&nbsp=3B A life =
bird and a year bird in one stop.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Thank you also for the updates on the fork-tailed flycatcher as we all got =
great looks at this bird also today.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other finds not included in other postings.&nbsp=3B There was a vesper spar=
row=2C that all four of my party saw at the end of the Hawk=2C where the ho=
use was that was torn down.&nbsp=3B This bird was on the edge of the grass =
and finally after quite a few attempts=2C stayed up long enough for us to g=
et a positive id.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Unconfirmed at this point is a possible western sandpiper.&nbsp=3B Three of=
 us designated the id as such for the sandpiper that we observed.&nbsp=3B&n=
bsp=3B Photos were taken and if the results come back positive=2C I will po=
st the location where this particular bird was observed.&nbsp=3B If the res=
ults come back negative=2C than I will also let you know what was determine=
d.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of interest.&nbsp=3B At Bacarro=2C alongside the road in a pond was a femal=
e wood duck.&nbsp=3B This is the first wood duck that I have seen in that l=
ocation.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Also at Bacarro were two ruby-crowned kinglet and a blue-headed vireo.&nbsp=
=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Cape Sable Island an osprey is a late one.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>

--_898b6cfb-ad2f-4041-b5cf-92c362cdaab6_--