[NatureNS] Fungus

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:40:19 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: Dorothy <dort@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_7i5gjeBvHEWmaVraoSz0IQ)

Hello Dorothy,

your pictures show a polypore fungus which infects wood.  It looks
very much like the common Laetiporus sulfureus, which usually forms
layers, but which I have seen to come in various shapes, especially
when young.  Your second picture is more typical of the form of that
fungus.

It is also common for this fungus to start out yellow or orange, with
soft margins, and then later to change to a brownish color, and to
become more woody.

Without finding it directly on a trunk, it is not possible to say just
what tree it is infecting.  There is one subgroup of these fungi which
infects conifers.

Laetiporus sulfureus (called Polyporus sulfureus in older books) is
edible when young and flexible, and is said to taste like chicken.  I
have found that to be true, though, only at the best stage in its
growth, when it is soft and flexible.  One trims off the soft margins,
and sautees them in butter or olive-oil.  If the fungus is spongy and
saturated with water, it is generally no longer tasty.  One good thing
is that there are no similar-looking deadly forms, so it is a good
fungus to try as food for the beginning mycophagist, though it will
not taste good unless it is young and fresh, in the orange-yellow stage.

Your pictures are very good, and I thank you for sharing them.

Regards,

Paul Boyer
Seabright, Halifax RM.

On 24 Aug 2009, at 3:19 PM, Dorothy wrote:

> Hi Paul:
> Here is the first photo I took, will send the one I took today in a
> separate
> email seeing as I'm on slow dial-up.  I guess I should have said it
> was
> golden in colour not tan.
>
> Thanks
> Dorothy
> <flowers visitors speed 009.jpg>

--Boundary_(ID_7i5gjeBvHEWmaVraoSz0IQ)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hello =
infects wood. &nbsp;It looks very much like the common <i>Laetiporus =
sulfureus</i>, which usually forms layers, but which I have seen to come =
in various shapes, especially when young. &nbsp;Your second picture is =
also common for this fungus to start out yellow or orange, with soft =
margins, and then later to change to a brownish color, and to become =
trunk, it is not possible to say just what tree it is infecting. =
&nbsp;There is one subgroup of these fungi which infects =
<i>Polyporus sulfureus</i> in older books) is edible when young and =
flexible, and is said to taste like chicken. &nbsp;I have found that to =
be true, though, only at the best stage in its growth, when it is soft =
and flexible. &nbsp;One trims off the soft margins, and sautees them in =
butter or olive-oil. &nbsp;If the fungus is spongy and saturated with =
water, it is generally no longer tasty. &nbsp;One good thing is that =
there are no similar-looking deadly forms, so it is a good fungus to try =
as food for the beginning mycophagist, though it will not taste good =
unless it is young and fresh, in the orange-yellow =
you for sharing =
Boyer</div><div>Seabright, Halifax =
Dorothy wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>Hi Paul:<br>Here is the first photo I took, will send =
the one I took today in a separate<br>email seeing as I'm on slow =
dial-up. &nbsp;I guess I should have said it was<br>golden in colour not =

--Boundary_(ID_7i5gjeBvHEWmaVraoSz0IQ)--