[NatureNS] Earwigs - a species at risk?

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:24:25 -0400
From: Phil & Maria <philmaria@xplornet.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------080401070108030307030401

Earwigs are alive and well here in Debert...no chance of extinction any
time soon!
Maria Forman

Jon Percy wrote:
> Over the last while there has been some discussion about unusual
> natural history observations apparently associated with the unusual
> spring/summer weather that we experienced this year. I have one such
> observation that I'd like to share; and invite comments
> Every fall in late October - early November I transfer my 5-6 cords of
> wood from the summer seasoning location to my basement. Traditionally,
> I spend a lot of time wacking logs together to knock off earwigs and
> pill bugs intent on overwintering in the woodpile before loading them
> in the wagon for transport. This year, there was the usual contingent
> of pill bugs but no sign of any earwigs..... and I don't mean there
> were just a few...but not a single one!!! The logs were stacked in
> exactly the same place and in exactly the same fashion. Usually, in
> spite of all the wacking I end up with a writhing mass of the
> loathsome critters in my wagon. But not this year...... none, not one,
> nada, zip, zero!!!! don't know whether this is a local phenomenon or
> something of broader geographical import. Should I be contacting the
> species at risk folk about adding another candidate to their list???
> Has anyone else noted a decided absence of these loveable creatures?
>
> Curious
> Jon Percy
> Granville Ferry, NS
> (Across from Annapolis Royal!)

--------------080401070108030307030401

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Earwigs are alive and well here in Debert...no chance of extinction any
time soon!<br>
Maria Forman<br>
Jon Percy wrote:
 type="cite">
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
  <base
 href="file://C:%5CUsers%5CJon%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CMicrosoft%5CWindows%20Mail%5CStationery%5C">
	MARGIN-TOP: 25px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-POSITION: left top; COLOR: #323c50; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 11pt
}
natural history observations apparently associated with the unusual
spring/summer weather that we experienced this year. I have one such
observation that I'd like to share; and invite comments </div>
cords of wood from the summer seasoning location to my basement.
Traditionally, I spend a lot of time wacking logs together to knock off
earwigs and pill bugs intent on overwintering in the woodpile before
contingent of pill bugs but no sign of any earwigs..... and I don't
mean there were just a few...but not a single one!!! The logs were
stacked in exactly the same place and in exactly the same fashion.
Usually, in spite of all the wacking I end up with a writhing mass of
the loathsome critters in my wagon. But not this year...... none, not
one, nada, zip, zero!!!! don't know whether this is a local phenomenon
or something of broader geographical import. Should I be contacting the
species at risk folk about adding another candidate to their list???
Has anyone else noted a decided absence of these loveable creatures?</div>

--------------080401070108030307030401--