[NatureNS] Overwintering Warblers & Feeder Design

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:42:28 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_5mvGF4WwSjqvHb6PxAVcig)

Hi Gayle, I am still looking for that Info. My warbler didn't make it.
We did over winter an oriole successfully in a juice bottle sunflower seed feeder I made for the chickadees a couple winters ago. It was hung in the grapevine, bounced a lot and swayed all the time as wind demanded.  A squirrel chewed a hole big enough to get itself inside so I made a fresh one for the little birds (and squirrel) and the oriole got in the holey one.
I just kept pushing grapes and apple/orange segments in there as well as the broken bits of sunflowers. I lined it with some fine grass. Someone said use grape jelly so I put some on the apple segments. Periodically it would work its way out and flop about and stumble around then make its way back up and in again. We thought we should try to heat it somehow but knew a reg lightbulb would burn it. The christmas lights could work and I have power I can use for that should we need that idea.  It stayed quite late into the warn weather and wasn't at all nervous of us by the end. It just wasn't there one day.
Don't know how much we had to do with it living through the cold weather but it chose to get in out of the wind and I suppose the bottle would be like a mini greenhouse when the sun was bright. It is so nice to have the group to go to for ideas, for sure!
Marg
http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_5mvGF4WwSjqvHb6PxAVcig)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Gayle, I am still looking for that Info. My
warbler didn't make it. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>We&nbsp;did over winter an oriole successfully in a
juice bottle sunflower seed feeder I made for the chickadees a couple winters
ago. It was hung in the grapevine, bounced a lot and swayed all the time as wind
demanded.&nbsp;&nbsp;A squirrel chewed a hole big enough to get itself inside so
I made a fresh one for the little birds (and squirrel) and the oriole&nbsp;got
in the holey one.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I just kept pushing grapes and apple/orange
segments in there as well as the broken bits of sunflowers. I lined it with some
fine grass. Someone said use grape jelly so I put some on the apple segments.
Periodically it would work its way out and flop about and stumble around then
make its way back up and in again. We thought we should try to heat it somehow
but knew a reg lightbulb would burn it. The christmas lights could work and I
have power I can use for that should we need that idea.&nbsp;&nbsp;It stayed
quite late into the warn weather and wasn't at all nervous of us by the end. It
just wasn't there one day. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Don't know how much we had to do with it living
through the cold weather but it chose to get in out of the wind and I suppose
the bottle would be like a mini greenhouse when the sun was bright. It is so
nice to have the group to go to for ideas, for sure!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Marg</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_5mvGF4WwSjqvHb6PxAVcig)--