[NatureNS] Snow Buntings

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:36:07 -0500
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

province co
Hi Lois,

I may be able to shed some light on the use of feathers in scientific projects. Jeff may be able to confirm that his research will be using them in this way.

The analysis of feathers for stable hydrogen isotopes is one tool for identifying the breeding origin of migrants.  The ratio in rainfall of deuterium (so called 'heavy' hydrogen) to hydrogen, varies across North America in a fairly predictable, broad-scale, geographic pattern. Since all living things take in water, the growing season rainfall values of this deuterium:hydrogen ratio are reflected in the local food webs. This ratio is in turn translated through the diet of birds into the feathers grown by birds living in the area. This is true of juveniles growing their first set of feathers and by adults replacing existing feathers when moulting. Adult Snow Buntings will have replaced their flight feathers on the breeding grounds.

So by analysing a flight feather, a general location of where the birds bred/hatched can be determined. From this many hypotheses can be tested. For example, are all the birds in a flock from the same location and is the wintering area only exploited by birds from one region or from many different breeding regions?

All the best,

Lance
Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario
lance.laviolette@lmco.com
P Before printing think about your responsibility & commitment to the Environment!
P Merci de penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel!