[NatureNS] Florida

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:17:30 EDT
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_30794.7e76fffc.38ec724a_boundary

Just back from our winter in the sun and a number of people have asked
about the effects of the cold weather. We stay in a small park between the
Indian River Lagoon and the sea on North Hutchinson Island just North of Fort
Pierce.
In January we had several days of below freezing temperatures which caused
a huge fish kill, particularly in our area where the lagoon is about a mile
wide  and very shallow. Thousands of fish were killed, mostly those that
were at the  Northern end of their range. Snook, Ladyfish, snappers,
tripletails and a number  of smaller tropical fish died in large numbers. More
Northern fish such as  spotted trout, jacks, blue fish and flounder survived. The
snook season has been  cancelled for the year. Unfortunately over 100
manatee died and many turtles  were in distress but apparently most were collected
and survived.
The cold also killed significant numbers of invasive species, particularly
pythons and iguanas. Pythons thrive in the state and an open season has
been announced for hunting python for the skins and meat. They become very
large, a 14ft rock python was captured a couple of weeks ago. The state has
also
announced an open season on feral razorback hogs which are very plentiful
everywhere. It is not at all unusual to see herds of 10 and 15 animals on
golf  courses.
In our small development we have  lots of very tame marsh rabbits,
squirrels and larger birds, including woodpeckers and flickers, as well as  mocking
birds and grackles. We don't see many small birds, I suspect as a result
of mosquito control measures. In the adjoining conservation area are many Bob
 Cats and people claim to have seen a Florida Panther.
I have a good photo of the fish kill in our marina for anyone who has a
specific interest.
Good to be back in Canada's riviera.

Peter Stow
Hubbards

--part1_30794.7e76fffc.38ec724a_boundary

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.7600.16535"></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=3Dr=
ole_body  bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><F=
ONT id=3Drole_document  color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>Just back from our winter in the sun and a number of people have aske=
d=20
about the effects of the cold weather. We stay in a small park between the=
=20
Indian River Lagoon and the sea on North Hutchinson Island just North of=
 Fort=20
Pierce.</DIV>
<DIV>In January we had several days of below freezing temperatures which=
 caused=20
a huge fish kill, particularly in our area where the lagoon is about a mil=
e wide=20
and very shallow. Thousands of fish were killed, mostly those that were at=
 the=20
Northern end of their range. Snook, Ladyfish, snappers, tripletails and a=
 number=20
of smaller tropical fish died in large numbers. More Northern fish such as=
=20
spotted trout, jacks, blue fish and flounder survived. The snook season ha=
s been=20
cancelled for the year. Unfortunately over 100 manatee died and many turtl=
es=20
were in distress but apparently most were collected and survived.</DIV>
<DIV>The cold also killed significant numbers of invasive species, particu=
larly=20
pythons and iguanas. Pythons thrive in the state and&nbsp;an open season=
 has=20
been announced for hunting python for the skins and meat. They become very=
=20
large, a 14ft rock python was captured a couple of weeks ago. The state ha=
s also=20
&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>announced an open season on feral razorback hogs which are very plent=
iful=20
everywhere. It is not at all unusual to see herds of 10 and 15 animals on=
 golf=20
courses.</DIV>
<DIV>In our small development we have&nbsp; lots of very tame marsh rabbit=
s,=20
squirrels and larger birds, including woodpeckers and flickers, as well as=
=20
mocking birds and grackles. We don't see many small birds, I suspect as a=
 result=20
of mosquito control measures. In the adjoining conservation area are many=
 Bob=20
Cats and people claim to have seen a Florida Panther.</DIV>
<DIV>I have a good photo of the fish kill in our marina for anyone who has=
 a=20
specific interest.</DIV>
<DIV>Good to be back in Canada's riviera.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--part1_30794.7e76fffc.38ec724a_boundary--