[NatureNS] spruce grouse

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:11:33 -0300

Hi, Billy.

Sounds like a lovely encounter.  I had a similar morning on the Eastern
Shore - had one Spruce Grouse cross a woods road with 3 young, and another
one less than a km further cross with at least 2 young - some may have
crossed before I arrived.  They're gorgeous chicks.

Someone was asking me about distinguishing Ruffed from Spruce Grouse chicks,
if the adult female isn't seen.  I rely on the overall buffier colour of
Spruce Grouse chicks, the chestnut cap bordered in black, the irregular
eyeline that turns down onto the cheek (Ruffed have a single strong eyeline
through the eye to the nape), and the whitish legs of the Spruce Grouse.

Cheers,
Susann