[NatureNS] Help with Finding Plants

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:44:56 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_2371218==.ALT

I have seen Sanguisorba canadensis growing along the Scots Bay Road,
not far from where the road ends and the trail out to Cape Split
begins.  I haven't been there in several years though, so perhaps
someone else can report if it's still there.

On a broader note, if you are interested in propagation you might get
in touch with Ray Fielding, the author of Shrubs of Nova Scotia : a
guide to native shrubs, small trees and woody vines (Nimbus,
1998).   He has been very interested in the propagation of native
plants (especially woody plants) and had success with many
trials.  He lives in Pleasantville/ Conquerall Bank area of Lunenburg
County, along the LaHave River.  He is not a member of this forum,
unfortunately.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

---- Kristl Walek <kristl@bellaliant.net> wrote:
 > There are a few plant species I am particularly trying to locate, if anyone
 > can be of help.
 >
 > Aronia arbutifolia
 > Have searched for this throughout SW Nova Scotia, but only found A.
 > melanocarpa and plants of hybrid origin (A prunifolia). I followed a lead to
 > Keji Adjunct last fall---but again, no red-berried Aronias. This continues
 > to elude me.
 >
 > Sanguisorba canadensis and Viburnum edule:
 > Has anyone seen these outside of Cape Breton?
 >
 > Betula michauxii:
 > Am looking for a specific location aside from Brier Island.
 >
 > Rhexia virginica and Nymphoides cordata:
 > A relatively accessible location to enable photographing the plants.
 >
 > Thank you in advance for any leads,
 >
 > Kristl Walek
 > Annapolis Royal

--=====================_2371218==.ALT

I have seen Sanguisorba canadensis growing along the Scots Bay Road, not
far from where the road ends and the trail out to Cape Split
begins.&nbsp; I haven't been there in several years though, so perhaps
someone else can report if it's still there.<br><br>
On a broader note, if you are interested in propagation you might get in
touch with Ray Fielding, the author of <u>Shrubs of Nova Scotia : a guide
to native shrubs, small trees and woody vines </u>(Nimbus,
1998).&nbsp;&nbsp; He has been very interested in the propagation of
native plants (especially woody plants) and had success with many
trials.&nbsp; He lives in Pleasantville/ Conquerall Bank area of
Lunenburg County, along the LaHave River.&nbsp; He is not a member of
this forum, unfortunately.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
---- Kristl Walek &lt;kristl@bellaliant.net&gt; wrote: <br>
&gt; There are a few plant species I am particularly trying to locate, if
anyone <br>
&gt; can be of help.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Aronia arbutifolia<br>
&gt; Have searched for this throughout SW Nova Scotia, but only found
A.<br>
&gt; melanocarpa and plants of hybrid origin (A prunifolia). I followed a
lead to<br>
&gt; Keji Adjunct last fall---but again, no red-berried Aronias. This
continues<br>
&gt; to elude me.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sanguisorba canadensis and Viburnum edule:<br>
&gt; Has anyone seen these outside of Cape Breton?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Betula michauxii:<br>
&gt; Am looking for a specific location aside from Brier Island.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Rhexia virginica and Nymphoides cordata:<br>
&gt; A relatively accessible location to enable photographing the
plants.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thank you in advance for any leads,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Kristl Walek<br>
&gt; Annapolis Royal<br>
&gt; <br>