[NatureNS] Nocturnal movements of thrushes

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:21:26 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01CB3AD1.49A46EC0

During the past year I have been experimenting with the acoustic monitoring
of nocturnal migration with a particular focus on the passage of thrushes.
Yesterday, I picked up a couple faint calls of what I believed to be
Veeries. Last night, however, five distinct Veery calls were recorded. I
also picked up one Hermit Thrush call. Veeries are early fall migrants while
the Hermit Thrush normally migrates much later (in September and October).
The nocturnal calls of thrushes are quite different from their daytime calls
and are more accurately identified by their spectrograms rather than their
sound.

John

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01CB3AD1.49A46EC0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Garamond Premr Pro";
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Adobe Caslon Pro";
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.EmailText, li.EmailText, div.EmailText
	{margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:6.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Garamond Premr Pro";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Adobe Caslon Pro";
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:
11.0pt;font-family:"Adobe Caslon Pro"'>During the past year I have been