[NatureNS] Seawatch, Western Head, Queen's Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 20:35:21 -0300

During a two hour seawatch at Western Head (near Liverpool), Queen's County, today,
there was a slow drift of birds over mainly glassy seas. The most interesting was an adult
Red-throated Loon (no Commons) heading SW; in addition I saw a steady passage of
Gannets, a few distant terns, a Whimbrel and peeps headed SW, and about 10 Black
Guillemots along with the usual gulls and a lot of summering eiders.

By far the most spectacular sight was the whale show. Most were quite distant, about 1-2 km
offshore, but easily seen by scope or with binoculars under the calm conditions of the
morning. Several big whales were feeding in the surface, blowing regularly, and
occasionally sounding. I can't be sure of total numbers, but I saw at least two Fin Whales,
two Humpbacks, and a very probable Minke. There appeared to be more, and some
porpoises or dolphins as well. The feeding conditions must have been good, because the
whole show hardly moved during the two hours that I watched. Occasionally Gannets and
gulls swung by, but in general they seemed to be more interested in prey that was closer to
shore.