[NatureNS] Blk-bell. Plovers, Godwit - Windsor, Pied-billed Grebes - Lockhartville

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:40:36 -0300

Sat Aug 14 /10:           Windsor Sewage Ponds at (very) high tide @ 4.47 pm
:

Black-bellied Plover   -  350 .

Short-billed Dowitcher  -  8,  Solitary Sandpiper  - 1,  Spotted Sandpiper
- 3,  peeps'  -  40-50  (circled a couple of times but did not land)

Gtr. Yellowlegs  -  1,  Lsr Yellowlegs -  1,  Ruddy Turnstone -  2,  Godwit
sp.  - 1 (saw briefly but could not re-locate in the roosting flocks for
i.d).   R.-n. Pheasant  -  1 immature

Blk. Duck -   50,   plus usual assortment of gulls and pigeons, resting on
the grassy banks with the plovers.

The viewing of these shorebirds was better from the eastern side of the
ponds, where as RBS reported a little while ago, there is a bit of a cleared
area with new fencing, offering a much better view of the holding ponds and
the grassy bank between. .

Exiting by new 'round-about' on Wentworth Rd, a Red-tailed Hawk soared
overhead.

In a pond beside Hwy #1, (Lockhartville) at Hutchinson Rd, there were two
Pied-billed Grebes.

Last night while watching the Perseids Meteor Shower after midnight, I heard
a Semip. Sandpiper calling in flight as it headed south over our house on
Wolfville Ridge, and wondered if it was travelling alone.

Cheers,

 Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS