[NatureNS] Red-w. Blackbird movement- Sheffield Mills

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:31:39 -0300

When I stopped to check out the Saxon St Pond, Sheffield Mills, this
morning, I was greeted with an almost deafening cacophony of squeaky
blackbird calls, alerting me to a huge flock of Red-w. Blackbirds passing
through the northern marshy area of Saxon St Pond, consisting of 300-400
birds - mostly adult males, with only a few females and imms. in this
restless flock. Not only were the cattails full of birds but the trees were
also laden. It made quite a picture!

Two groups of Black Ducks (11+12) were also in the area.  5-6 Spotted
Sandpipers (a family unit?) were busy flitting back and forth over the open
water of the large pond.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts