[NatureNS] blackfly bites, or what are they

From: "D W Bridgehouse" <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 15:11:20 -0300

When  i first saw this posting a week ago my first thought went insect bites
thinking "no -see- ums " those small midges. This insect can be from one of
many families of Nematoceran  - Diptera goup. Like mosquitoes, gestating
female no-see-ums hungry for protein search for a "blood meal." Though
one-third the size of a mosquito, its bite is inversely more painful. While
mosquito bites cause raised lumps on the skin that become very itchy, they
can be soothed with calomine lotion, Benadryl, or aloe vera. No-seeum bites
result in typically a whole bunch of red welts that irritate the skin, are
slow to deflate, and cause three to four days of severe itching. No-see-ums
on the beach will bite most often on the ankles and lower legs, just because
they're closer to the ground. But if you're unlucky enough to pass through a
dark swarm of them, no part of your body is off limits and they could fly
into your eyes, ears, nose or mouth.

Every person reacts differently to no-see-um bites. Two people may receive
an equal number of bites, and one will not be affected while the other will
turn into a walking pincushion.

There are also fleas ie sand fleas that can do that kind damage  on lower
legs too.

DB