[NatureNS] possible injured gannet

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:52:43 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001485f44cd2cd7fa0048ebe8499

A bird that fed too much to fly would be weeded out by natural selection,
especially in the case of a large bird like a N Gannet which doesn't have
much choice for hiding. An eagle, for example, would quickly pick up on the
gannet's lack of motion and dispatch it.

Injured, or perhaps sick, is more likely.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 26 August 2010 15:33, <bdigout@seaside.ns.ca> wrote:

> I received this e-mail from Heather Grant of Lower L'Ardoise a few days
> after our Point Michaud field trip.  Does it sound like this bird is
> injured?  It is sitting on a rock close to shore.
>  I told her I thought it might have hit bottom diving in shallow water.
> Billy Does that sound reasonable?
>
> This lovely gannet was outside our house the other day.  We thought
> perhaps his/her right wing was damaged because she didn't want to move
> - but maybe she was just too full!
>
> Heather
>
> You have been sent 2 pictures.
>

> DSC03614.JPG
> DSC03615.JPG
>
> These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
> Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/

--001485f44cd2cd7fa0048ebe8499

A bird that fed too much to fly would be weeded out by natural selection, e=
specially in the case of a large bird like a N Gannet which doesn&#39;t hav=
e much choice for hiding. An eagle, for example, would quickly pick up on t=
he gannet&#39;s lack of motion and dispatch it.<div>

tr">&lt;bdigout@seaside.ns.ca&=
gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 =
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

I received this e-mail from Heather Grant of Lower L&#39;Ardoise a few days=
after our Point Michaud field trip. =A0Does it sound like this bird is<br>
injured? =A0It is sitting on a rock close to shore.<br>
=A0I told her I thought it might have hit bottom diving in shallow water.<b=
r>
Billy Does that sound reasonable?<br>
This lovely gannet was outside our house the other day. =A0We thought<br>
perhaps his/her right wing was damaged because she didn&#39;t want to move<=
br>
- but maybe she was just too full!<br>
Heather<br>
You have been sent 2 pictures.<br>
DSC03614.JPG<br>
DSC03615.JPG<br>
These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.<br>
Try it out here: <a href=3D"http://picasa.google.com/" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://picasa.google.com/</a><br>

--001485f44cd2cd7fa0048ebe8499--