[NatureNS] possible injured gannet

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-605079315-1282870497=:20579

Sitting in one place for an extended period of time is often an indication that
something is wrong with a bird. Why did Heather suspect the right wing
specifically was injured? Wing injuries usually produce a drooping wing and/or
reduced wing extension on one side.

Another possibility is that the bird is very thin. Emaciated birds don't have
enough muscle to fly, and their inability to get airborne can be mistaken for
wing injuries. They also tend to be quite lethargic. Emaciation can be caused by
disease, an injury which prevents foraging, or simply by poor hunting skills.

I don't know if gannets often injure themselves hitting bottom. If this one did,
you might see damage to the beak in the photos (which didn't come through in the
e-mail for me). And while I've heard a story or two about raptors eating so much
they are unable to fly, I've never heard of a gannet doing so. I suspect that
emaciation or injury is the reason this bird was acting oddly. If the bird is
still around, and Heather wants to attempt a rescue, she can contact us at the
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre (893-0253).

Since this is the time of year when we start seeing stranded seabirds, there's
something I'd like to mention. There are some birds, such as loons, which cannot
take off from land. Sometimes people find such a bird on the ground and, wanting
to help, pick it up and take it to the water. However, this may not actually be
helping. Healthy birds occasionally get blown ashore by storms, but the majority
of grounded seabirds are injured or sick. CWRC often admits grounded loons,
cormorants and other species, and nearly all are emaciated and dehydrated. In
addition to the treatment of illness or injury, these birds require rehydration
and a gradual reintroduction to food. They would die if simply returned to the
water. To have a good chance for survival, grounded seabirds should be taken to
a wildlife rehabilitation centre.

Rescuing large seabirds is not easy. They usually fight hard, and are armed with
sharp beaks and lightning-fast stabbing abilities. (I speak from personal
experience!) If you find yourself rescuing a cormorant, gannet or loon, be very,
very careful. Before picking it up, cover the bird with a towel or jacket, being
sure to cover the head. If the bird doesn't fight hard, it is almost certainly
in dire straits. The best way to transport any bird is in a cardboard box
somewhat larger than the bird. A pet carrier also works. If possible, the
container should be lined with a towel or other material that can give the bird
secure footing.

Kathleen MacAulay
Milford Station