[NatureNS] Re: Common Reed in N.S.?

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "Catling, Paul" <Paul.Catling@AGR.GC.CA>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 08:40:08 -0300

Hello Fred and others,
   thank you for the update on the Common Reed. I am very familiar with this
(these?) species in Europe, where it absolutely dominates the shallow-water
edges of ponds and similar wetlands, whereas in the Maritimes it is
extremely patchy and still quite rare. Most colonies are still quite small.
   I spend a lot of time canoeing and kayaking, often in the
Halifax-Dartmouth area of Nova Scotia, and the sole colony of Common Reed I
have ever seen in Nova Scotia that is not associated with a highway is near
the head of tide on Cogmagun River in Hants County.
   In Metro, there is a well-established colony along Hwy. 333 near Glen
Margaret (the only one I know of on "Chebucto Peninsula"), one along Hwy. 7
near Cherry Brook, and one along Hwy. 101 near its crossing of Sackville
River near Mt. Uniacke.
   Of course, there are several new roadside colonies along Hwy.102 between
Truro and Halifax. Common Reed is one of the very few plants that one
doesn't have to really look for. While driving, one doesn't even have to
slow down. I'd always assumed that all of the above roadside populations are
the Old World species/subspecies, but, according to your findings, that
could be incorrect. Regards,
   Dusan Soudek