[NatureNS] Re: Western Sandpiper and others at Grand Pre

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:22:26 -0300
From: Sydney Penner <sfp@sydneypenner.ca>
To: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
CC: Kate Robinson <Kate.Robinson@EC.GC.CA>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

--------------020202010002020309090903

  Yes, I was the The Guzzle. Sorry for not including that information in
the first email---I'll blame the omission on a toddler who interrupted
me several times!

Sydney

On 08/28/2010 10:58 PM, James W. Wolford wrote:
> Sydney, were you at The Guzzle (east end of Long Island, Grand Pre)
> where you got these great looks at the shorebirds?  Thanks from Jim in
> Wolfville, who more frequently prowls the eastern part of Evangeline
> Beach on foot.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From: *Sydney Penner <sfp@sydneypenner.ca <mailto:sfp@sydneypenner.ca>>
>> *Date: *August 28, 2010 6:31:26 PM ADT
>> *To: *NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com <mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
>> *Cc: *naturens@chebucto.ns.ca <mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>> *Subject: **[NatureNS] Western Sandpiper and others at Grand Pre*
>>
>> I spent several rewarding hours at Grand Pre close to high tide this
>> afternoon (Aug. 28). The overall number of shorebirds was much lower
>> than on my previous visits (it looked like most of the Semipalmated
>> Sandpipers had moved on), but the number of species was better than
>> I've seen before and the birds often came really close to me.
>>
>> Here's the list of shorebirds I saw (estimates are quick and dirty
>> for anything over a handful of individuals):
>>
>> Black-bellied Plover -- 3
>> American Golden-Plover -- 1
>> Semipalmated Plover -- 50
>> Ruddy Turnstone -- 2 juveniles (I think I also saw a flying adult,
>> but not sure)
>> Sanderling -- 4
>> Semipalmated Sandpiper -- 100
>> WESTERN SANDPIPER -- 1 (there were actually several individuals which
>> looked suspiciously like Westerns, but I'm only sure about one)
>> Least Sandpiper -- 60
>> White-rumped Sandpiper -- 1
>>
>> I got a fantastic, extended view of the Western from about thirty
>> feet away. It was also close to several Semipalmated and Least
>> Sandpipers, providing a great chance to compare the species. It was a
>> juvenile with upper scapulars edged in rufous and lower scapulars
>> gray with dark anchor with white/offwhite edging. It had a
>> significantly longer bill than the other sandpipers around it. The
>> bill drooped slightly. Black legs. The face was relatively pale,
>> though within the range for Semipalmated Sandpipers.
>>
>> Now a question for those well-versed in sandpiper plumages: Sibley's
>> mentions that Westerns molt earlier than Semipalmateds. The
>> suggestion seems to be that birds that are mostly or entirely molted
>> into nonbreeding plumage by this time of the year are likely to be
>> Westerns. But am I right in thinking that around here -- where
>> Westerns are rare -- a nonbreeding plumaged bird in August is still
>> more likely to be an early-molting Semipalmated than a Western? The
>> reason I ask is because I saw one or two birds that had almost
>> entirely finished molting (they still had a few black scapulars with
>> the edging worn off among the gray) that had relatively long,
>> drooping bills that made me suspect Western. But I know that bill
>> lengths can be variable and I wasn't sure how much to make of the
>> fact that they were this far along with molting.

> [...]

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
    <title></title>
  </head>
    Yes, I was the The Guzzle. Sorry for not including that information
    in the first email---I'll blame the omission on a toddler who
    interrupted me several times!<br>
    Sydney<br>
      Sydney, were you at The Guzzle (east end of Long Island, Grand
      Pre) where you got these great looks at the shorebirds? &nbsp;Thanks
      from Jim in Wolfville, who more frequently prowls the eastern part
      of Evangeline Beach on foot. &nbsp;<br>
              color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#000000" face="Helvetica"
              Helvetica;" face="Helvetica" size="3">Sydney Penner &lt;<a
              color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#000000" face="Helvetica"
              Helvetica;" face="Helvetica" size="3">August 28, 2010
              6:31:26 PM ADT</font></div>
              color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#000000" face="Helvetica"
              Helvetica;" face="Helvetica" size="3"><a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
              color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#000000" face="Helvetica"
              Helvetica;" face="Helvetica" size="3"><a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
              color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#000000" face="Helvetica"
              Helvetica;" face="Helvetica" size="3"><b>[NatureNS]
              color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#000000" face="Helvetica"
              Helvetica;" face="Helvetica" size="3"><a
                moz-do-not-send="true"
            spent several rewarding hours at Grand Pre close to high
            tide this afternoon (Aug. 28). The overall number of
            shorebirds was much lower than on my previous visits (it
            looked like most of the Semipalmated Sandpipers had moved
            on), but the number of species was better than I've seen
            before and the birds often came really close to me.</div>
            (estimates are quick and dirty for anything over a handful
            of individuals):</div>
            think I also saw a flying adult, but not sure)</div>
            actually several individuals which looked suspiciously like
            Westerns, but I'm only sure about one)</div>
            the Western from about thirty feet away. It was also close
            to several Semipalmated and Least Sandpipers, providing a
            great chance to compare the species. It was a juvenile with
            upper scapulars edged in rufous and lower scapulars gray
            with dark anchor with white/offwhite edging. It had a
            significantly longer bill than the other sandpipers around
            it. The bill drooped slightly. Black legs. The face was
            relatively pale, though within the range for Semipalmated
            Sandpipers.</div>
            in sandpiper plumages: Sibley's mentions that Westerns molt
            earlier than Semipalmateds. The suggestion seems to be that
            birds that are mostly or entirely molted into nonbreeding
            plumage by this time of the year are likely to be Westerns.
            But am I right in thinking that around here -- where
            Westerns are rare -- a nonbreeding plumaged bird in August
            is still more likely to be an early-molting Semipalmated
            than a Western? The reason I ask is because I saw one or two
            birds that had almost entirely finished molting (they still
            had a few black scapulars with the edging worn off among the
            gray) that had relatively long, drooping bills that made me
            suspect Western. But I know that bill lengths can be
            variable and I wasn't sure how much to make of the fact that
            they were this far along with molting.</div>

--------------020202010002020309090903--