[NatureNS] Saints' Rest Shorebirds - interesting read

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:15:34 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CB4C22.7E853810

Several people have asked me why the shorebirds don't move to a quieter spot
along the beach to rest. I'll defer to naturalists with more knowledge to
answer that question.

In my opinion, most of the long stretch of beach may look the same to us,
but shorebirds may be more discriminating. Perhaps they prefer certain sites
because of the
vegetation or the warmth of the rocks. Eventually though, they move from
their chosen site after repeated interruptions.

Many years ago, I attended a session of the American Birding Association in
Fort Myers. Researchers studied shorebirds that spent the winter near
Sanibel Island and noted the birds had insufficient fat for their northern
migration and nesting activities. The beaches and mudflats in the area were
relatively quiet during the week but very busy on week-ends. The researchers
decided to capture and tag the birds on Fridays and recapture them on
Mondays. The drop in body fat every week-end was surprising and significant.
If I remember correctly, the birds lost most of the weight they had gained
the previous Monday to Thursday. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact number.)
The study
 recommended a public education program to encourage beachgoers to share the
beach with the peeps.

Many communities in the USA have established programs called 'Share the
Beach' to educate the public about the need to provide habitat for
shorebirds to nest and rest during the relevant periods. We have similar
programs at Mary's Point and Johnson Mills.

Here are two snipets from the Florida Audubon website:

Few things are more beautiful to the uninitiated than a flock of birds,
rising in unison, after being flushed by a child or dog.
Unfortunately, we now know that every time
 these birds fly,
not only are they not feeding and gaining fat,
they're actually expending the energy they need for their long trip ahead. A
series of innocent disturbances can have significant implications
 for their metabolic budget.

Dogs and shorebirds simply
don't mix. Whether it's because of
a resemblance to the birds'
familiar predators (foxes, coyotes)
or some other reason, we do
know that shorebirds flush at
greater distances when dogs are
present, than when presented
with a person alone. Often, this is
at great distances, before you're likely
to even notice the bird has been
 disturbed.
If you must take Fido to the beach,
obey leash laws and restrict your dog from flushing birds.

Luckily the shorebirds that stop at Saints' Rest between August and October
can feed without human disturbance. The vast mudflats to the west of Taylor
Island are not very attractive to humans. As the tide rises on the mudflats,
the shorebirds seek higher ground. For about 3.5 hours around each high
tide, the birds rest on the rocky sections of Saints' Rest Beach, just as
they do at Johnson Mills and Mary's Point.

High tide is the only time large numbers of shorebirds need us to share the
beach with them. It is a small adjustment for humans to maintain the
necessities of life for several species of shorebirds.

Eileen Pike
in Saint John

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CB4C22.7E853810

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE>.hmmessage P {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
BODY.hmmessage {
	FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; FONT-SIZE: 10pt
}
</STYLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939"></HEAD>
<BODY class=3Dhmmessage bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman">Several people have asked =
me why the=20
shorebirds don't move to a quieter spot along the beach to rest. I'll =
defer to=20
naturalists with more knowledge to answer that question. <BR><BR>In my =
opinion,=20
most of the long stretch of beach may look the same to us, but =
shorebirds may be=20
more discriminating. Perhaps they prefer certain sites because of the=20
<BR>vegetation or the warmth of the rocks. Eventually though, they move =
from=20
their chosen site after repeated interruptions.<BR><BR>Many years ago, I =

attended a session of the American Birding Association in Fort Myers.=20
Researchers studied shorebirds that spent the winter near Sanibel Island =
and=20
noted the birds had insufficient fat for their northern migration and =
nesting=20
activities. The beaches and mudflats in the area were relatively quiet =
during=20
the week but very busy on week-ends. The researchers decided to capture =
and tag=20
the birds on Fridays and recapture them on Mondays. The drop in body fat =
every=20
week-end was surprising and significant. If I remember correctly, the =
birds lost=20
most of the weight they had gained the previous Monday to Thursday. =
(Sorry, I=20
can't remember the exact number.) The study<BR>&nbsp;recommended a =
public=20
education program to encourage beachgoers to share the beach with the =
peeps.=20
<BR><BR><BR>Many communities in the USA have established programs called =
'Share=20
the Beach' to educate the public about the need to provide habitat for=20
shorebirds to nest and rest during the relevant periods. We have similar =

programs at Mary's Point and Johnson Mills.<BR><BR>Here are two snipets =
from the=20
Florida Audubon website:<BR><BR>Few things are more beautiful to the =
uninitiated=20
than a flock of birds,<BR>rising in unison, after being flushed by a =
child or=20
dog. <BR>Unfortunately, we now know that every time<BR>&nbsp;these birds =

fly,<BR>not only are they not feeding and gaining fat, <BR>they=92re =
actually=20
expending the energy they need for their long trip ahead. A series of =
innocent=20
disturbances can have significant implications<BR>&nbsp;for their =
metabolic=20
budget.<BR>.........<BR><BR>Dogs and shorebirds simply<BR>don=92t mix. =
Whether=20
it=92s because of<BR>a resemblance to the birds=92<BR>familiar predators =
(foxes,=20
coyotes)<BR>or some other reason, we do<BR>know that shorebirds flush=20
at<BR>greater distances when dogs are<BR>present, than when =
presented<BR>with a=20
person alone. Often, this is<BR>at great distances, before you=92re =
likely <BR>to=20
even notice the bird has been<BR>&nbsp;disturbed.<BR>If you must take =
Fido to=20
the beach,<BR>obey leash laws and restrict your dog from flushing=20
birds.<BR><BR>Luckily the shorebirds that stop at Saints' Rest between =
August=20
and October can feed without human disturbance. The vast mudflats to the =
west of=20
Taylor Island are not very attractive to humans. As the tide rises on =
the=20
mudflats, the shorebirds seek higher ground. For about 3.5 hours around =
each=20
high tide, the birds rest on the rocky sections of Saints' Rest Beach, =
just as=20
they do at Johnson Mills and Mary's Point. <BR>&nbsp;<BR><BR>High tide =
is the=20
only time large numbers of shorebirds need us to share the beach with =
them. It=20
is a small adjustment for humans to maintain the necessities of life for =
several=20
species of shorebirds. <BR><BR>Eileen Pike<BR>in Saint=20
John<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CB4C22.7E853810--