[NatureNS] Space Station Pass in the Big Dipper Tonight

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:08:06 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_DAPx4FhwZqZMLoRKYAbqzQ)

Space Station Pass in the Big Dipper Tonight
Looks like a great night for sky gazing for those who have a
reasonably dark sky.

ISS makes an interesting pass just after 9:40 p.m. out of the NW (at
the peak of its pass about 9:43 p.m., in the North, where it
encounters the western edge of Earth's shadow (9:43:21, in Avonport,
at an altitude of about 50 degrees).  Its track before hitting shadow
takes it through the Big Dipper.  Though the bowl the more  south of
Avonport you are, i.e. Yarmouth. Through the handle, Avonport and
further north.  It hits the shadow as it moves up in the vicinity of
the North Star in the Little Dipper.

With binoculars you can especially see the change in light brilliance
and colour during the few seconds it takes the space station to slip
into the shadow.

I believe there are 6 people on board the station presently.

This link can help choose the particular star track for the ISS for a
location near you. Once you get a schedule, click on the date; it is
linked to a star map with a track for the location you choose.

http://www.glinx.com/~sherm/iss_pass_schedule.htm

Jupiter is the bright <star> showing up in the SE by 10 p.m.  For
those in a reasonably dark sky location, note the Milky Way arching
up overhead from south to north. I spent a good part of last evening
with my binocs and  telescope (10 inch reflecting lens and low power
eyepieces) looking at its treasures as I roamed up through its path
from south to north.  It was magnificent!

Sherman

--Boundary_(ID_DAPx4FhwZqZMLoRKYAbqzQ)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div>Space Station Pass in the =
Big Dipper Tonight</div>Looks like a great night for sky gazing for =
interesting pass just after 9:40 p.m. out of the NW (at the peak of its =
pass about 9:43 p.m., in the North, where it encounters the western edge =
of Earth's shadow (9:43:21, in Avonport, at an altitude of about 50 =
degrees). &nbsp;Its track before hitting shadow takes it through the Big =
Dipper. &nbsp;Though the bowl the more &nbsp;south of Avonport you are, =
i.e. Yarmouth. Through the handle, Avonport and further north. &nbsp;It =
hits the shadow as it moves up in the vicinity of the North Star in the =
especially see the change in light brilliance and colour during the few =
seconds it takes the space station to slip into the shadow. =
choose the particular star track for the ISS for a location near you. =
Once you get a schedule, click on the date; it is &nbsp;linked to a star =
map with a track for the location you =
href=3D"http://www.glinx.com/~sherm/iss_pass_schedule.htm">http://www.glin=
&nbsp;For those in a reasonably dark sky location, note the Milky Way =
arching up overhead from south to north. I spent a good part of last =
evening with my binocs and &nbsp;telescope (10 inch reflecting lens and =
low power eyepieces)&nbsp;looking at its treasures as I roamed up =
through its path from south to north. &nbsp;It was =

--Boundary_(ID_DAPx4FhwZqZMLoRKYAbqzQ)--