[NatureNS] strange to me gulls

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 13:00:22 -0300

At the moment there are two smallish gulls in my yard. They appear to be
stunned, shell shocked or exhausted. They are wandering around looking for
food, I haven't anything I know would help them out. They have black legs,
black bills, are kind of squat and longish and light gray with a bit of gray
about the head behind the eyes. Terrible description. I have the book and
can sit and the come in fairly close and stay still. I would say  laughing
gulls maybe? or a kittiwake........I do not know gulls except the residents
(or maybe I don't even know them) where the wings meet at the back, tail
area there are black tipped feathers with what looks to be a horizontal
pattern. They have pointy wings when  air borne, holding them up to coast.
They have been around since the blow pretty much. More have gone. I've been
mowing so maybe I kept them away. One appears to be sleeping on the rise of
the lawn next door.
I would love to know what they are. Still have hummingbirds feeding and
zipping about. They do not like these foreign birds and are dive bombing at
them. Also have a gorgeous large golden dragon fly. I don't recall seeing
one like it ever. Lovely creature.
Marg n White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca