[NatureNS] Halifax Bat Roost ? (something other than Earl

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:13:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_4934953==.ALT

         An astute observation, and I agree with you.  The first time
I saw wintering Baltimore Orioles in my neighbourhood, they were in
this tree, at twilight.  That was the winter when you and my
neighbour kept - was it 7? - alive through to April.

         I spoke to another neighbour today, and the tree was
reportedly a west coast species, the Nootka False-cypress, that is
Callitropsis nootkatensis formerly Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, aka
Pacific Coast Yellow Cedar.

         Those who live in more expansive suburban or rural areas may
be amused by our attachment to a single tree, but believe me, in the
close confines of the city, one well-chosen tree can make a difference.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 11:16 PM 09/09/2010, you wrote:
>This tree may well have been the one used the past couple of winters
>by Baltimore Orioles that overwintered at my feeders.  They left at
>dusk to fly in your direction, Patricia - no doubt to roost for the
>night in a dense conifer.
>
>Susann Myers

--=====================_4934953==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>An astute
observation, and I agree with you.&nbsp; The first time I saw wintering
Baltimore Orioles in my neighbourhood, they were in this tree, at
twilight.&nbsp; That was the winter when you and my neighbour kept - was
it 7? - alive through to April.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I spoke to
another neighbour today, and the tree was reportedly a west coast
species, the Nootka False-cypress, that is <b><i>Callitropsis
Pacific Coast Yellow Cedar.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Those who
live in more expansive suburban or rural areas may be amused by our
attachment to a single tree, but believe me, in the close confines of the
city, one well-chosen tree can make a difference.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 11:16 PM 09/09/2010, you wrote:<br>
have been the one used the past couple of winters by Baltimore Orioles
that overwintered at my feeders.&nbsp; They left at dusk to fly in your
direction, Patricia - no doubt to roost for the night in a dense
conifer.<br>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message ----- <br>

<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca">P.L.
Chalmers</a> <br>

<dd>Subject:</b> [NatureNS] Halifax Bat Roost ? (something other than
Earl birds)<br><br>

<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Last
week (1 Sept.) a large coniferous tree in my neighbourhood was cut down
by the property's new owners.&nbsp; I am not sure what species the tree
was - not a native, although it looked somewhat like an Eastern
Hemlock.&nbsp; The tree-cutting fellows thought it was a cypress, but I
don't know.&nbsp; However, it was a big tree, over two storeys high, was
thickly branched with slightly drooping boughs and feathery branches with
fine needles, and was probably, given the age of houses in the
neighbourhood,&nbsp; 60-70 years old.&nbsp; It was in the back yard of a
house just a few doors north of me and I always enjoyed its presence, as
it was one of the few big evergreens nearby.&nbsp; The birds loved it,
especially Black-capped Chickadees, and during migration or bad weather
its dense foliage was a refuge for many small birds, especially
warblers.&nbsp; <br><br>

<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I
wasn't at home when the tree came down, but a neighbour who lives across
the street told me that when it did, a large number of bats</b> flew out
of it, all at once.&nbsp; She was amazed, as she has never seen a bat in
the neighbourhood.&nbsp; Neither have I.&nbsp; So I am wondering, could
this tree have been used as a temporary roost by migrating bats?&nbsp;

<dd><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</