[NatureNS] Pictou Co. Gulls-Jaeger

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:50:51 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_6HWhBqz/EXXZ2YQB1UrZ1w)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
It  was rainy most of the day today Sept. 11 and the wind picked up in the afternoon. Nevertheless, I made a quick trip in the late afternoon to Caribou I. There are a lot of gulls in Caribou Harbour as there is most Septembers with herring spawning season.  I estimate 2-3 thousand gulls with a mix of our more common fall gulls, Herring, Great Black-backed, Ring-billed and Bonaparte's (about 500).
Today I was able to pick out and photograph an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, and a juvenile plumaged LAUGHING GULL. From the Caribou lighthouse, I could see a distant dark JAEGER harrassing a Herring Gull. It was slim chested and most likely a Parasitic, but I am not 100% certain given the distance. It was closer to Munroes I.
 There were a few handfuls of Common Terns flying in the distance. There was one which looked like an Arctic Tern with minimum black in primaries. I was pressed for time but it would have been nice to have had more time to check the gulls more thoroughly. It was raining when I crossed the Pictou Causeway. There were some Terns there, but I did not want to chance a stop with the weather conditions. Two Osprey were sitting on an Abercrombie nest, but none on an Granton nest which was active this summer.

I had a Juvenile RT Hummingbird at my feeder in Plymouth this morning- this must be my latest date for my yard.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_6HWhBqz/EXXZ2YQB1UrZ1w)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>It&nbsp; was rainy most of the day today Sept. 11
and the wind picked up in the afternoon. Nevertheless, I made a quick trip in
the late afternoon to Caribou I. There are a lot of gulls in Caribou Harbour as
there is most Septembers with herring spawning season. &nbsp;I estimate 2-3
thousand gulls with a mix of our more common fall gulls, Herring, Great
Black-backed, Ring-billed and Bonaparte's (about 500). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Today I was able to pick out&nbsp;and
photograph&nbsp;an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, and a juvenile plumaged
LAUGHING GULL. From the Caribou lighthouse, I could see a distant dark JAEGER
harrassing a Herring Gull. It was slim chested&nbsp;and most likely a Parasitic,
but I am not 100% certain given the distance. It was closer to
Munroes&nbsp;I.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;There were a few handfuls of&nbsp;Common
Terns&nbsp;flying in the distance. There was one which looked like an Arctic
Tern with minimum black in primaries. I was pressed for time but it would have
been nice to have had more time to check the gulls more thoroughly. It was
raining when I crossed the Pictou Causeway. There were some Terns there, but I
did not want to chance a stop with the weather conditions. Two Osprey were
sitting on an Abercrombie nest, but none on an Granton nest which was active
this summer. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I had a Juvenile RT Hummingbird at my feeder in
Plymouth&nbsp;this morning- this must be my latest date for my yard.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_6HWhBqz/EXXZ2YQB1UrZ1w)--