[NatureNS] Update on Snowy Plover

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:16:25 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_azaFf8NBjEy0W4Yx5DdKDw)

Wendy and I spent about 2 hours walking Kingsburg Beach between 11:30 and 1:30 today.  We could not find the Snowy Plover, amongst the several dozen Semi Plovers, dozen or so Sanderling and a smattering of Lesser Yellowlegs, Semi and Least Sandpipers.  We did note one Buff-breasted Sandpiper, one Amer Golden Plover and one Laughing Gull.  No terns were seen.
Rather disappointed we spent a bit of time at Hirtle's Beach but saw little there (only the cobbles were exposed).
We then hiked part of the Indian Path trails (green and yellow trails) but passerines were scarce, although the lichens there are wonderful!
Our last stop in Mahone Bay provided views of several Laughing Gulls, a few Common Terns and a small group of RB Mergansers hauled out on some rocks in front of the Innlet Cafe - their usual spot!!

Bob McDonald
Halifax

--Boundary_(ID_azaFf8NBjEy0W4Yx5DdKDw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE type=text/css>DIV {
	MARGIN: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939"></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Wendy and I spent about 2 hours walking Kingsburg Beach
between 11:30 and 1:30 today.&nbsp; We could not find the Snowy Plover, amongst
the several dozen Semi Plovers, dozen or so Sanderling and a smattering of
Lesser Yellowlegs, Semi and Least Sandpipers.&nbsp; We did note one
Buff-breasted Sandpiper, one Amer Golden Plover and one Laughing Gull.&nbsp; No
terns were seen.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Rather disappointed we spent a bit of time at Hirtle's Beach
but saw little there (only the cobbles were exposed).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>We then hiked part of the Indian Path trails (green and yellow
trails) but passerines were scarce, although the lichens there are
wonderful!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Our last stop in Mahone Bay provided views of several Laughing
Gulls, a few Common Terns and a small group of RB Mergansers hauled out on some
rocks in front of the Innlet Cafe - their usual spot!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Bob McDonald</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Halifax</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_azaFf8NBjEy0W4Yx5DdKDw)--