[NatureNS] Solitary Sandpiper, lots of migrants in Pt Pleasant Park

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:20:07 -0300

--Apple-Mail-1--998954284

Hi all,

One of the three Solitary Sandpipers reported earlier has stuck around
Pt Pleasant Park the last few days, including this morning.

This morning there were particularly high numbers of migrants for what
I've experienced here before. Notable species or numbers include:

1 Eastern Wood-pewee
6 Empidonax sp. (including one Least, by appearance and call, and one
Alder by appearance; the rest were likely Alders)
25 Cedar Waxwings
40 American Robins
5 Solitary Vireos
10 (!) Red-eyed Vireos
20+ Yellow-rumped Warblers
6 Common Yellowthroats
One each of Black-throated Green Warbler, Black-and-white Warbler,
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Northern Parula, and
Wilson's Warbler (and there was another Wilson's in my Bridges St
backyard when I got home)
14+ Song Sparrows
1 Lincoln's Sparrow

The Wilson's Warbler and the Lincoln's Sparrow were on the bramble-
covered slope along Fort Road west of Black Rock Beach (beware of the
many Lincoln's-ish looking young Song Sparrows that are in the same
area).

Pretty good pickings for a one hour dog walk covering just the east
half of the park.

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax
--Apple-Mail-1--998954284

of the three Solitary Sandpipers reported earlier has stuck around Pt =
Pleasant Park the last few days, including this =
high numbers of migrants for what I've experienced here before. Notable =
by appearance and call, and one Alder by appearance; the rest were =
Yellowthroats</div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Helvetica; ">One each of Black-throated Green =
Warbler,&nbsp;Black-and-white Warbler,&nbsp;Chestnut-sided =
Warbler,&nbsp;Blackpoll Warbler,&nbsp;Northern Parula, and&nbsp;Wilson's =
Warbler&nbsp;(and there was another&nbsp;Wilson's&nbsp;in my Bridges St =
Lincoln's Sparrow were on the bramble-covered slope along Fort Road west =
of Black Rock Beach (beware of the many Lincoln's-ish looking young Song =
good pickings for a one hour dog walk covering just the east half of the =

--Apple-Mail-1--998954284--