[NatureNS] Thirty Years Later Expedition presentations at the Nova Scotia Museum of

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:41:31 -0300
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 9/14/2010 12:37 AM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> On 9/13/2010 11:37 PM, P.L. Chalmers wrote:
>> I am intrigued by Fred Schueler's note .... and I am looking forward to
 >> his talk at the Museum of Natural History on Wednesday.
>
>  I'm pleased that you're looking forward to it, but you'll have to look
> a little further forward...  the talk will be on the 22nd, and
> Aleta will give a workshop on her out-of-doors painting methods on 25
> September.

* and here's the notices of these:

1) 22 September: "Stalking the Wild Conspicuous" -- Schueler/Karstad
presentation on 30 Years Later Expedition research.

place: Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History, 1747 Summer Street,
Halifax, NS 44.64532N 63.58451W
presenters: Frederick W. Schueler and Aleta Karstad
time: 7:30 pm
Admission: FREE

The 30 Years Later Expedition is a transCanada Biological Survey
launched in partnership with the Canadian Museum of Nature, primarily
revisiting sites where Fred & Aleta have made observations and
collections... since 1970... ...began life as a birder, but switched to
then-neglected but conspicuous Amphibians in graduate school, a pattern
the couple has followed since, documenting the ranges and variation of
other kinds of conspicuous but neglected organisms...

They will discuss the results of the first year of the expedition:
worm-ravaged old-growth woods in Renfrew County... giant Carp and
Dog-strangling Vine east of Toronto...  and this month's pursuit of the
partially-alien giant grass, Phragmites, across Nova Scotia.

The full notice is at
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/p/coming-events-meet-artist-in-nova.html

2) 25 September, at the same location... "Plein Air Painting with Aleta
Karstad" workshop: Out-of-doors painting in oils or acrylic

time: all day: 10:00 - 12:00 indoors talk, then paint-out from 12:30 on
registration fee: $20

30 Years Later Expedition Artist Aleta Karstad shows her recent
paintings from Nova Scotia on the 30 Years Later Expedition biological
survey, and demonstrates and teaches her "plein air" technique in oils
on canvas for artists at all levels of proficiency.

The full notice is at
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/p/painting-workshop-25-september-halifax.html

We hope to see many of you at these events,

fred

> I'll also mention the CARCNET (Canadian Amphibian and Reptile
> Conservation Network) meetings in Wolfville, 17-20 September.
> see http://www.carcnet.ca/english/annual_meeting/current_meeting.p^h^p
> (I understand from a recent thread that certain combinations of letters
> can't appeaer in a natureNS post, so take the carets out of p^h^p) -
> this is the best way to keep up with research and conservation of
> Canadian herpetofauna.

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm