[NatureNS] Gulls, Gannets Galore

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 07:42:12 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_qy285rp9anaTvTWXpiW7vA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
On Monday afternoon, Sept. 13, I made some observations from Waterside PP - Caribou I. in Pictou Co.. Tide was basically high at the time. There were 6 boats fishing herring off Waterside and the was a pretty good show of Gannets mabe 1500 or so  - always hard to estimate a large group like this as many were resting on the water. There were quite a few gulls  as well and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was observed. There were 330 Bonaparte's Gulls along the beach and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was a surprise add to the days list from the park.
 Along the route to the lighthouse, a number of gulls were roosting on land. There were 2 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls in this grouping of 250 Ring-billed Gulls, 110 Herring Gullds and 8 Gt- Black-backed gulls.
When I arrived at the Caribou lighthouse, the seabird activity was crazy. The Gannets had moved up from Waterside diving and flying around 50 boats fishing herring. There were 10,000+ gulls in the area mostly Herring, but a good number of Gt. Black-backed as well. I found another Lesser Black-backed Gull resting with several thousand gulls on one of the bars. In the midst were 300 seals.
I was talking to one of the crew of the PEI ferry on Tues and he said that by night there were a couple hundred boats fishing and whales were observed in the area as well through the day.
Quite spectacular to see so many birds!
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_qy285rp9anaTvTWXpiW7vA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On Monday afternoon, Sept. 13, I made some
observations from Waterside PP - Caribou I. in Pictou Co.. Tide was basically
high at the time. There were 6 boats fishing herring off Waterside and the was a
pretty good show of Gannets mabe <STRONG>1500</STRONG> or so&nbsp; - always hard
to estimate a large group like this as many were resting on the water. There
were quite a few gulls&nbsp; as well and an adult <STRONG>Lesser Black-backed
Gull</STRONG> was observed. There were 330 Bonaparte's Gulls along the beach and
a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was a surprise add to the days list from the
park.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;Along the route to the lighthouse, a number
of gulls were roosting on land. There were 2 adult <STRONG>Lesser Black-backed
Gulls</STRONG> in this grouping of 250 Ring-billed Gulls, 110 Herring Gullds and
8 Gt- Black-backed gulls. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>When I arrived at the Caribou lighthouse, the
seabird activity was crazy. The Gannets had moved up from Waterside diving and
flying around 50 boats fishing herring. There were 10,000+ gulls in the area
mostly Herring, but a good number of Gt. Black-backed as well. I found another
<STRONG>Lesser Black-backed Gull</STRONG> resting with several thousand gulls on
one of the bars. In the midst were 300 seals. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I was talking to one of the crew of the PEI ferry
on Tues and he said that by night there were a couple hundred boats fishing and
whales were observed in the area as well through the day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Quite spectacular to see so many
birds!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_qy285rp9anaTvTWXpiW7vA)--