[NatureNS] Brier Island Weekend

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:10:20 +0000

--_ae56b737-6e49-4c8c-8273-39d819b67856_

On the way to Brier Island=2C on Friday in the one pond at the end of Digby=
 Neck there was a pied-billed grebe.  On the way home on Sunday there were =
23 greater scaup in the lake half way across Long Island.  I would like to =
thank all of thse who came to Brier Island and joined our bird outings on t=
he weekend.  I'll let Wayne post the final tally of what was observed.  Som=
e good birds were three black skimmers=2C which were only seen on Friday=2C=
 an American Golden Plover=2C a Cooper's Hawk=2C a peregrine falcon=2C manx=
 shearwaters=2C lots of red phalaropes=2C lots of Atlantic puffins=2C a raz=
orbill=2C Baltimore orioles=2C eastern kingbirds=2C rose-breasted grosbeaks=
=2C an eastern bluebird=2C and a fulmar to mention a few.  There were plent=
y of laughing gulls.  There was a large movement of bluejays (especially on=
 Saturday) 352 and American goldfinches (thousands) over the whole weekend.=
  There appeared to have been a good hawk flight for sharp-shinned hawks on=
 Saturday.  I had 30 at West Light on that day.

=20

On Sunday morning as I left David Walmark and Suzanne Borkowski noted three=
 groups of broad-winged hawks=2C which totalled around 78 birds.  Therefore=
=2C those who stayed on the island must have had a good hawk flight.  There=
 were hawks all along long island.  We had a peregrine falcon at Freeport. =
 At most ocean locations at Long Island black-legged kittiwakes could be se=
en.  From an historical basis the cemetary at Tiverton is three quarters fi=
lled with Outhouses.  This was the highlight for me with a wonderful hawk f=
light of 3 turkey vultures=2C 36 red-tailed hawks=2C 20 northern goshawks=
=2C five American kestrels=2C a few merlins=2C five sharp-shinned hawks=2C =
90 broad-winged hawks=2C and a northern harrier.  Another nice treat along =
Digby Neck was a feeder with at least eight ruby-throated hummingbirds comi=
ng to it. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20
 		 	   		  =

--_ae56b737-6e49-4c8c-8273-39d819b67856_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
On the way to Brier Island=2C on Friday in the one pond at the end of Digby=
 Neck there was a pied-billed grebe.&nbsp=3B On the way home on Sunday ther=
e were 23 greater scaup in the lake half way across Long Island.&nbsp=3B I =
would like to thank all of thse who came to Brier Island and joined our bir=
d outings on the weekend.&nbsp=3B I'll let Wayne post the final tally of wh=
at was observed.&nbsp=3B Some good birds were three black skimmers=2C which=
 were only seen on Friday=2C an American Golden Plover=2C a Cooper's Hawk=
=2C a peregrine falcon=2C manx shearwaters=2C lots of red phalaropes=2C lot=
s of Atlantic puffins=2C a razorbill=2C Baltimore orioles=2C eastern kingbi=
rds=2C rose-breasted grosbeaks=2C an eastern bluebird=2C and a fulmar to me=
ntion a few.&nbsp=3B There were plenty of laughing&nbsp=3Bgulls.&nbsp=3B Th=
ere was a&nbsp=3Blarge movement of bluejays (especially on Saturday) 352 an=
d American goldfinches (thousands) over the whole weekend.&nbsp=3B There ap=
peared to have been a good hawk flight for sharp-shinned hawks on Saturday.=
&nbsp=3B I had 30 at West Light on that day.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On Sunday morning as I left David Walmark and Suzanne Borkowski noted three=
 groups of broad-winged hawks=2C which totalled around 78 birds.&nbsp=3B Th=
erefore=2C those who stayed on the island must have had a good hawk flight.=
&nbsp=3B There were hawks all along long island.&nbsp=3B We had a peregrine=
 falcon at Freeport.&nbsp=3B At most ocean locations at Long Island black-l=
egged kittiwakes could be seen.&nbsp=3B From an historical basis the cemeta=
ry at Tiverton is three quarters filled with Outhouses.&nbsp=3B This was th=
e highlight for me with a wonderful hawk flight of 3 turkey vultures=2C 36 =
red-tailed hawks=2C 20 northern goshawks=2C five American kestrels=2C a few=
 merlins=2C five sharp-shinned hawks=2C 90 broad-winged hawks=2C and a nort=
hern harrier.&nbsp=3B Another nice treat along Digby Neck was a feeder with=
 at least eight ruby-throated hummingbirds coming to it.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_ae56b737-6e49-4c8c-8273-39d819b67856_--