[NatureNS] increased feeder activity

From: "John & Francine Belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:10:09 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01CB5BE1.6ECB7D70

In the past 2 or 3 days the feeders have become a somewhat frantic scene =
and the contents are vanishing at an alarming rate. I presume that many =
of the birds are just moving through and looking for a pit stop for a =
couple of days. Some birds are clearly coming because of the activity, I =
am not sure what they would actually eat. The most unusual was a =
Black-throated Green Warbler that posed nicely on the deck railing, =
until I went to get the camera, and it hasn't been that near since.
Since yesterday I have noticed:-
4 Yellow Warblers, 1 WB Nuthatch, 3 Pine Warblers, 2 Pine Siskin's, 3 =
female Purple Finch, 2 Northern Flickers=20
and the usual freeloaders -  25+ Gold Finch, 8 Song Sparrows, 5 Mourning =
Doves, 12 Chickadees and 6 Blue Jays. Fortunately the hoard of starlings =
that circle the neighborhood have not arrived on-masse as yet.
A Sharp Shinned Hawk has been paying the group a lot of attention and =
creates periodic havoc. I am amazed at how fast it flies.

Several people have remarked that they are seeing an usual number of =
Pileated Woodpeckers in the last couple of weeks, locally they must have =
bred well. They have yet to show up here, but then this is a new =
sub-division and there isn't much to attract them yet.
John Belbin - Hantsport
------=_NextPart_000_0022_01CB5BE1.6ECB7D70

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>In the past 2 or 3 days the feeders =
have become a=20
somewhat frantic scene and the contents are vanishing at an alarming =
rate. I=20
presume that many of the birds are just moving through and looking for a =
pit=20
stop for a couple of days. Some birds are clearly coming because of the=20
activity, I am not sure what they would actually eat. The most unusual =
was a=20
Black-throated Green Warbler that posed nicely on the deck railing, =
until I went=20
to get the camera, and it hasn't been that near since.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Since yesterday I have =
noticed:-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>4 Yellow Warblers, 1 WB Nuthatch, 3 =
Pine Warblers,=20
2 Pine Siskin's, 3 female Purple Finch, 2 Northern Flickers =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>a</FONT><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>nd =
the usual=20
freeloaders -&nbsp; 25+ Gold Finch,&nbsp;8 Song Sparrows, 5 Mourning =
Doves, 12=20
Chickadees and 6 Blue Jays. Fortunately the hoard of starlings that =
circle the=20
neighborhood have not arrived on-masse as yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A Sharp Shinned Hawk has been paying =
the group a=20
lot of attention and creates periodic havoc. I am amazed at how fast it=20
flies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Several people have remarked that they =
are seeing=20
an usual number of Pileated Woodpeckers in the last couple of weeks, =
locally=20
they must have bred well. They have yet to show up here, but then this =
is a new=20
sub-division and there isn't much to attract them yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>John Belbin - =
Hantsport</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01CB5BE1.6ECB7D70--