[NatureNS] Brier Island this weekend

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:56:07 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016364c77ff98ecbf0491318581

Hi,

Just got back from a weekend on Brier. As we arrived at about 9pm, a Coyote
stood in the Lighthouse Rd. near the farm, and ran ahead of us before
ducking into the Big Meadow. On Saturday night we could hear them howling
from our camp.

Saturday was foggy, wet, and SW winds - so hardly any birds, but we did get
a single Laughing Gull between our camp and Whipple Point.  Today was much
better, as the wind had turned NE by this morning. For most of the day
anywhere you looked, the sky was full of Sharp-shinned and Broad-winged
hawks, with a smattering of Red-tails (all juv., interestingly), N.Harriers,
Kestrels, Merlins,  Peregrines and just 2 T.Vultures. Flocks of Blue Jays
roamed all over the island, and with the large number of Sharpies around,
their terminal cries were not infrequent. Flickers were very much in
evidence. Just before we left a Peregrine posed on a seaweed covered rock
near the ferry.

A sea watch from N.Point this morning was excellent, with a feeding frenzy
about 0.5km offshore, with hundreds of Gannets, Kittiwakes, Gr. Shearwaters,
2+ Parasitic Jaegers, all milling around, and at one point a whale breached
in the middle of it. Gannets were flying by close offshore right around the
island all day.

There were very few passerines.

On the way back, there were 6 T.Vultures over Sandy Cove, and a dead Black
Bear on the side of the 101 near Bridgetown.

Photos will eventually appear.  There were some other birders around so I
may have missed something that will be reported.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016364c77ff98ecbf0491318581

Hi,<br><br>Just got back from a weekend on Brier. As we arrived at about 9p=
m, a Coyote stood in the Lighthouse Rd. near the farm, and ran ahead of us =
before ducking into the Big Meadow. On Saturday night we could hear them ho=
wling from our camp.<br>

 get a single Laughing Gull between our camp and Whipple Point.=A0 Today wa=
s much better, as the wind had turned NE by this morning. For most of the d=
ay anywhere you looked, the sky was full of Sharp-shinned and Broad-winged =
hawks, with a smattering of Red-tails (all juv., interestingly), N.Harriers=
, Kestrels, Merlins,=A0 Peregrines and just 2 T.Vultures. Flocks of Blue Ja=
ys roamed all over the island, and with the large number of Sharpies around=
, their terminal cries were not infrequent. Flickers were very much in evid=
ence. Just before we left a Peregrine posed on a seaweed covered rock near =
the ferry.<br>

nzy about 0.5km offshore, with hundreds of Gannets, Kittiwakes, Gr. Shearwa=
ters, 2+ Parasitic Jaegers, all milling around, and at one point a whale br=
eached in the middle of it. Gannets were flying by close offshore right aro=
und the island all day.<br>

Vultures over Sandy Cove, and a dead Black Bear on the side of the 101 near=
 Bridgetown.<br><br>Photos will eventually appear.=A0 There were some other=
 birders around so I may have missed something that will be reported.<br>

href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>######=

--0016364c77ff98ecbf0491318581--