[NatureNS] White Winged cross-bill

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:10:10 -0300

I have either a female or maybe juvenile bird in my border garden right now
that almost fits a White Winged crossbill. The beak throws me off a tad. It
is finchy but longer but as far as I can see there aren't any snags crossing
over. The call is a persistent sharp and harsh Threp! rising at the
end...........bad description, I know. If it is a crossbill , wouldn't it
stay mainly in the trees (conifers). Usually that is where I find them.
Bigger than a sparrow, the colour is an olivey green/mossy brown  almost
with a golden tinge, a touch of light bar on the wing and it has a longish
tail and whips it about up/down and sideways a lot. It is shy but is staying
handy and seems right now to be determined to clean the seeds from  wild
evening primrose.  It is staying just far enough from the house I can't
capture it with my camera. I will keep trying............not rare I know but
not where it should be in my yard and I want to know what it is.
Not an oriole for sure.
best regards,
Marg Millard

http://MargMillard.ca