[NatureNS] the cruise & resting birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 20:55:48 -0300

Hello as stated earlier this week I have a report of birds seen on an east
coast cruise taken by an internet friend,  that some wanted to see.
Best regards
MargMillard, White Point, Queens

Charlie and I arrived home 9/21 from our 10-day cruise. We had stops at
Newport, RI, (9/12) where we saw a flock of Common Eiders, our first
lifebirds of the trip!  Another stop at Halifax, NS, on 9/14; Quebec City on
9/17; and Sydney, NS, on 9/19. Most of our new lifebirds were seen from deck
14 at the bow of the ship in St. Lawrence Bay and the Atlantic
Ocean--pelagic birds that live at sea most of the year. I was so thrilled
when we saw many Northern Gannets, a bird I've been wanting to see since
1978! (I thought I saw one in Florida that year, but took it off my life
list because I wasn't sure about it; but now I'm sure!!) Here is the list of
new birds for us:

In Newport, R.I.
            Common Eider on 9/12

In Halifax, Nova Scotia
            Gray Jay on 9/13 (new for Charlie--I saw them in the Boundary
Waters)
            Iceland Gull while I was sitting on the aft deck 9/13 (Charlie
only)

In the Gulf of St. Lawrence
            Blackpoll Warbler on 9//16

              Pelagic Birds
In St. Lawrence Bay and Atl. Ocean
              Cory's Shearwater on 9/14
               Northern Fulmer  on 9/14
               Northern Gannett  on 9/14
               Black-legged Kittiwake on 9-19

We had a fallout of migrants in the Gulf of St. Lawrence one night (9/15-16)
and little birds were huddled all over the ship seeking shelter from the
wind. Songbirds migrate at night and are drawn to lights, so during that
very long open water crossing, they saw the ship and headed for it. Many
died, trying to land in the dark and probably hitting the glass. But a lot
survived. One little warbler was found inside one of the lounges (where we
sat birding on the windy days). The staff were trying to catch it. I went
over and told them to stand back, I'm "used to handling birds."   8-)   I
slowly walked up to the frightened little guy making little psst noises, it
calmed down, I reached down and picked it up, took it outside and placed it
in a sheltered area with other tired little birds. Another was on the deck
being buffeted around by the high winds, and I caught it and took it to
shelter where other birds had huddled. I was the "bird whisperer!"  I took a
lot of pictures of these exhausted little birds. Many of the passengers fed
them. Most were warblers and sparrows: Black-throated Green, Common
Yellowthroat, Magnolia, Blackpoll, Black & White, Palm, Ovenbird,
Prothonotary Warblers and White-throated Sparrows. We also had a
Prothonotary and Ovenbird sheltering on the poopdeck on 9/13, hopping around
under the tables picking up crumbs the passengers were feeding them.

Lee Ann Reiners
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit
the ground each morning the devil says,
"OH CRAP, SHE'S AWAKE"!. <<<<<<<<<<<<,

Download this as a