[NatureNS] looking for a name for the striped woodpecker

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:31:44 -0300
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  style=3D"MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FON
On 10/4/2010 1:17 PM, James Churchill wrote:

> If this is the correct Reader, there is also a reference to a "striped
> squirrel". If this refers to a chipmunk, it's possible that "stripes"
> such as this could also add Pileated Woodpecker or Northern Flicker to
> the list of possibilities...?

* it would seem to me that the first question is whether the Mi'kmaq
name contains any hint as to whether the "stripes" of the English name
are longitudinal stripes or transverse bars.

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm