[NatureNS] Sparrow ID

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:40:34 -0300
From: iamclar@DAL.CA
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

All:

Ulli's sparrow is in fact a beautiful example of one of the inland
subspecies of Nelson's Sparrow, presumably the "Prairie" (to n ON)
form nelsoni rather than the James Bay alterus.

There are several critical features that eliminate Saltmarsh Sparrow.

1. the back is too strongly marked with black and white -  SMSP is
more uniformly clay-colored and dark brown.

2. The bill, tho' quite long, is not up to the more robust one SMSP.

3, In STSP there is strong contrast between the umber face and whitish
throat to flanks, the latter heavily black-striped. In prairie
Neslon's, as in Ulli's bird, the flanks are similarly black-streaked,
but with buff-umber ground color.

4. A useful distinction in such excellent photos is in the tertials.
In Ulli's image, the tertials are, typically for Nelson's, blackish
with pale margins. In SMSP these are clay-colored with blackish stripe
inside the pale inner margins. This feature is not shown in field
guides, but is evident in web images.

The bill in SMSP is normally more robust than on Ulli's bird, although
there is overlap in lenght.

This bird is just as interesting as possible SMSP, if one gets beyond
mere "ticking" for the life list. Its presence may reflect the strong
westerly airflow of late. There may be more such birds out there!
Sparrows always deserve a closer look.

Cheers, Ian
Ian McLaren

Quoting uhoeger@dal.ca: