[NatureNS] Hermit Thrush Foraging Technique

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:23:50 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_A2rgHiC2d2qgXe3jX3dIUA)

Hi Peter and others,

The foot pattering you describe has been observed in a number of bird families. Most people have seen it in action in various plover and sandpiper species. It is also used by members of the heron family and by gulls. The behavior is well described for several species in the thrush family as well though, particularly Hermit Thrushes. As was already suggested, it is thought that for land birds it is used to disturb ground cover and startle insects into moving thereby allowing them to be more easily caught. For shorebirds the principle is the same, though the mechanism is a bit different. Foot trembling on the surface of wet sand or mud causes prey items to rise from their burrows/tubes to the surface and thus they become available to be caught.

All the best,

Lance