[NatureNS] of major importance to many

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:41:34 -0300
From: Martin Alpert <alpertelectric@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636765b8d6e837104935f8c79

I always wonder how much you can control plant movement with laws.
Especially two countries with little physical barrier between them.
Marty

--
Martin D. Alpert
Alpert Electric

--001636765b8d6e837104935f8c79

I always wonder how much you can control plant movement with laws. Especial=
ly two countries with little physical barrier between them. =A0<div>Marty<b=
r><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Marg Mil=
lard <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mmillard@eastlink.ca">mmillard=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">I hope this isn&#39;t out of line but it se=
ems to me with the topics recently discussed, some might find it interestin=
g and time is short for commenting.<br>

Best regards<br>
Marg Millard White Point, Queens<br>
*&quot;WHITE LIST&quot; OF AUTHORIZED PLANTS (Canada and U.S.)*<br>
The U.S. and Canadian governments are planning to introduce a &quot;white<b=
r>
list&quot; of plants that are allowed entry into each country under a joint=
Canada-USA greenhouse certification program. The United States<br>
Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency<br=

(CFIA) are requesting comments from stakeholders on a proposal to<br>
replace the current list of prohibited plants with this new list of<br>
allowed plants. What this means is that if a plant is not on the allowed<br=

list it cannot enter the U.S. from Canada or vice versa. Many thousands<br>
of plants including many herbs will be barred entry under the proposal.<br>
This change is highly significant for both countries because it appears<br>
to be a first attempt to implement a controversal &quot;white list&quot; ap=
proach<br>
to the control of cross-border plant movement. The proposed &quot;white lis=
t&quot;<br>
is far more restrictive than the current &quot;black list&quot; of prohibit=
ed<br>
plants that has been in place since the inception of the binational<br>
Greenhouse Certification Program in 1996. The proposed &quot;white list&quo=
t; of<br>
allowed plants includes less than 1000 plant genera, out of over 12,600<br>
genera of flowering plants known to man. The current &quot;black list&quot;=
 of<br>
prohibited plants has fewer than 100 genera.<br>
Some suggest that the powerful anti-invasives movement in the U.S. is<br>
behind the push to introduce &quot;white lists&quot; of plants that are all=
owed<br>
into the country. While invasives are a problem for both countries, the<br>
new list will affect thousands of plants already in the horticultural<br>
trade, and will limit the introduction of new plants to gardeners.<br>
For gardeners, it is worth reflecting a moment on how many new plants<br>
that you have enjoyed growing over the past 10-20 years, and how many of<br=

them might not have been available to you had this &quot;white list&quot; b=
een in<br>
place.<br>
Gardeners, herbalists, commercial growers, and the gardening and herbal<