[NatureNS] Ralph the Brown Pelican

From: Helene Van Doninck <hvandoninck@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:55:44 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_i78YWapSD2ujmmsmsluGPw)

HI Tuma, a few years ago I had a cattle egret here with a fractured wing.
After we pinned and fixed the wing..we then started the process to have him
sent to a rehab facility in the Florida Keys to finish his rehab as we had
him in the winter and couldn't exercise him outside. It took a llooooong
time to get the necessary paperwork to have him sent back to the USA.
Apparently cattle egrets are of special interest as they are endangered in
Ghana ( who knew? ) and as soon as they are endangered anywhere they get
special consideration on the CITES list and then things slow down even more.
Considering Brown Pelicans were recently a species of concern....it may take
a while!

Good luck :)

Helene

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
RR#1 Brookfield Nova Scotia Canada B0N1C0
hvandoninck@eastlink.ca
www.cwrc.net
<http://cwrcblog.blogspot.com/>
1-902-893-0253