[NatureNS] Southern Flying Squirrel

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:16:39 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_O+1hvaWKzDtKgKYdR0D4cw)

The Southern Flying Squirrel is well north of its range in Nova Scotia although they have turned up in Halifax and other locations in Nova Scotia.  Whether this is range expansion or abandonment of caged squirrels is unknown to me.  Well, we have a Southern Flying Squirrel visiting our sunflower feeder in the dark of night here in Portugusese Cove.  We have deduced this from its diminutive size and by its weight.  But how can you weigh the squirrel barks the skeptic?

Our sunflower feeder is the counter balanced type designed specifically to keep out pest species such as red squirrels and blue jays.  We balance the feeder to deter the blue jay and squirrel.  The front of the feeding tray closes when either of these species land on the feeding bar.  So far, so good, but the blue jay is tenacious and they developed the nasty habit of flying up to the tray and snapping up a sunflower seed as the trap door closed on their bill.  This is not a problem, seed consumption wise, but the constant clanging of the feeder door opening and closing was driving me crazy so I turned the feeder towards the house so that the feeding platform is about 12 inches from the wall.  This maneuver defeated the blue jay and the silence made Hans happy!

Now, the Southern Flying Squirrel lands on the feeder and the door does not close!  So we deduce that the squirrel must weigh less than the blue jay.  I looked up the weights of these species; the squirrel weighs 1.8 to 2.5 ounces and the blue jay weighs 2.4- 3.5 ounces.  How's that for application of the scientific method??

I have three large roosting boxes and several nest boxes scattered about the woods around our house.  I gave up maintaining them since the local red squirrels immediately occupy them and fill them with grass to the lip of the entrance cavity.  Next year I'll put up two blue bird boxes on steel poles, and try again.

Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_O+1hvaWKzDtKgKYdR0D4cw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18975">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Southern Flying Squirrel</STRONG> is
well north of its range in Nova Scotia although they have turned up in Halifax
and other locations in Nova Scotia.&nbsp; Whether this is range expansion or
abandonment of caged squirrels is&nbsp;unknown to me.&nbsp; Well, we have a
<STRONG>Southern Flying Squirrel</STRONG> visiting our sunflower feeder in the
dark of night here in Portugusese Cove.&nbsp; We have deduced this from its
diminutive size and by its weight.&nbsp; But how can you weigh the squirrel
barks the skeptic?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Our sunflower feeder is the counter balanced type
designed specifically to keep out pest species such as red squirrels and blue
jays.&nbsp; We balance the feeder to deter the blue jay and squirrel.&nbsp; The
front of the feeding tray closes when either of these species land on the
feeding bar.&nbsp; So far, so good, but the blue jay is tenacious and they
developed the nasty habit of flying up to the tray and snapping up a sunflower
seed as the trap door&nbsp;closed on their bill.&nbsp; This is not a problem,
seed consumption wise, but the constant clanging of the feeder door opening and
closing was driving me crazy so I turned the feeder towards the house so that
the feeding platform is about 12 inches from the wall.&nbsp; This maneuver
defeated the blue jay and the silence made Hans happy!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Now, the <STRONG>Southern Flying Squirrel</STRONG>
lands on the feeder and the door does not close!&nbsp; So we deduce that the
squirrel must weigh less than the blue jay.&nbsp; I looked up the weights of
these species; the squirrel weighs 1.8 to 2.5 ounces and the blue jay weighs
2.4- 3.5 ounces.&nbsp; How's that for application of the scientific
method??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I have three large roosting boxes and several nest
boxes scattered about the woods around our house.&nbsp; I gave up maintaining
them since the local red squirrels immediately occupy them and fill them with
grass to the lip of the entrance cavity.&nbsp; Next year I'll put up two blue
bird boxes on steel poles, and try again.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia,
Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_O+1hvaWKzDtKgKYdR0D4cw)--