[NatureNS] two big dead things, Ant. Co.

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:47:02 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf300fb3cf6ff12e0494271ef2

A colleague came in the other day and said, "There's a dead moose behind my
house, in the woods." Mainland moose are rare around here, so after checking
my colleague for signs of inebriation (none), I asked her if she had
contacted DNR, who likely would send parts of that animal for necropsy. I'd
bet they will check for
brainworm<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parelaphostrongylus_tenuis>,
and a few other things as well.

Also, a leatherback washed up at Monks Head Beach, Pomquet. It is very fresh
and shows no signs of impact/entanglement. It is being sent to UPEI for
necropsy. I wish I could be there for that! The Stranding Network has been
alerted.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--20cf300fb3cf6ff12e0494271ef2

A colleague came in the other day and said, &quot;There&#39;s a dead moose =
behind my house, in the woods.&quot; Mainland moose are rare around here, s=
o after checking my colleague for signs of=A0inebriation=A0(none), I asked =
her if she had contacted DNR, who likely would send parts of that animal fo=
r necropsy. I&#39;d bet they will check for <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.=
org/wiki/Parelaphostrongylus_tenuis">brainworm</a>, and a few other things =
as well.<div>

It is very fresh and shows no signs of impact/entanglement. It is being sen=
t to UPEI for necropsy. I wish I could be there for that! The Stranding Net=
work has been alerted.</div>

--20cf300fb3cf6ff12e0494271ef2--