[NatureNS] is anyone else concerned about the "wood first" act before

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:16:04 -0300

--_d97958be-0f45-4f5d-a48b-1d88c108e92a_

the "wood first" act - Bill C-429 has already gone through it's first readi=
ng and through committee and looks like it may become law very soon:=20
=20
It mandates government to prefer wood for any and all projects:
=20
"amend the Department of Public Works and Government Services Act (use of w=
ood) by adding the following after subsection (1):
(1.1) Despite subsection (1)=2C before soliciting bids for the construction=
 =2C maintenance or repair of public works=2C federal immovables and federa=
l real property=2C the Minister shall give preference to the concept that p=
romotes the use of wood=2C while taking into account the cost and greenhous=
e gas emissions."
=20
This started in BC where it is now law and is beginning to be adopted and/o=
r looked at by other jurisdictions.
=20
Can this be good - interested in other people's opinions.  I just feel our =
forests are being threatened on every level.
=20
  		 	   		  =

--_d97958be-0f45-4f5d-a48b-1d88c108e92a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
the "wood first" act - Bill C-429 has already gone through it's first readi=
ng and through committee and looks like it may become law very soon: <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
It mandates government to prefer wood for any and all projects:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
"amend the Department of Public Works and Government Services Act (use of w=
ood) by adding the following after subsection (1):<BR>
(1.1) Despite subsection (1)=2C before soliciting bids for the construction=
 =2C maintenance or repair of public works=2C federal immovables and federa=
l real property=2C the Minister shall give preference to the concept that p=
romotes the use of wood=2C while taking into account the cost and greenhous=
e gas emissions."<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
This started in BC where it is now law and is beginning to be adopted and/o=
r looked at by other jurisdictions.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Can this be good - interested in other people's opinions.&nbsp=3B I just fe=
el our forests are being threatened on every level.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_d97958be-0f45-4f5d-a48b-1d88c108e92a_--