[NatureNS] Grey Goose near Truro

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:36:53 -0300
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_OX+sifuklDImp2+fKwBQgQ)

The descriptor "Grey Goose" refers to the species grouping Greylag / Bean (2 spp.) / Pink-
foot / White-front (2 spp.) and is used mainly by Brits (which I am not).

Just after noon today, I found a "Grey Goose" in a big flock of Canadas (1000-2000) along
the Shore Road in Masstown, Col. Co. It was big, nearly as big as the Canadas it
accompanied, showed a large orange bill, long sloping profile, heavy neck, neck streaking,
pink legs, a pale gray head (somewhat darker on the cap - this varied with light and angle),
gray neck and underparts, and darker wings and coverts. I watched it for about an hour and
a half at a range of ca. 300-400m, as it fed, marched about with the Canadas, for
uncomfortably long times, fell asleep on hollows in the grass, and in general proved
frustrating to see well. I got some inferior photographs which seem to bear our my visual
observations. Tellingly, although I did not see it in flight, it stretched a wing once and
showed a grey forewing.

This appears to be a Greylag Goose.

As far as I know, there is only one previous record of a Greylag in Canada, one that showed
up on an oil rig off Newfoundland several years ago. The problem is that Greylag is the
rootstock of barnyard geese, and all kinds of variant of the species are found in city parks
and waterfowl collections. On the positive side, this bird looked like wild birds found in
Europe not like the highly selected barnyard variety. Greylags breed throughout western
Europe and in the Faeroes and Iceland.

Relevant or not, although most of the Canadas in this very large flock were white-breasted
"Canada" Canada Geese, while I was watching, several flocks arrived to join the one on the
ground. One of these was made up of slightly smaller, very dark-breasted and dark-bellied
birds, likely Branta canadensis interior, the race inhabiting northern Quebec and that (I
believe) that has colonized Greenland. So some northern birds are beginning to appear in
the Truro area flocks this early in the season.

The location: from Exit 14 off Hwy 102 at Truro, turn left along Hwy 2/4 through Onslow and
Lower Onslow for several km. Just past the highway safety school on the left (S) of the road,
look for Shore Road. Proceed along the road to the Jenkins family farm (the big one on the
right of the Shore Road, i.e. to the N of it); just past the farm is a grassy field on the right (N
side of the road) that is used by geese from year to year. With luck, that's where it should
be. WARNING: it will be best to stay in your car. The birds are jumpy and people getting out
of cars or slamming doors may result in a mass flight. Game over.

Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road
RR#1 Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X0
Canada
e.mills@dal.ca

--Boundary_(ID_OX+sifuklDImp2+fKwBQgQ)

<title></title>
</head>
[...]
&quot;Canada&quot; Canada Geese, while I was watching, several flocks arrived to join the one on the
ground. One of these was made up of slightly smaller, very dark-breasted and dark-bellied
birds, likely <i>Branta canadensis interior,</i> the race inhabiting northern Quebec and that (I