[NatureNS] re "wood first" act before parliament - seems like biomass issues redoubled if these moves across canada

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:15:28 -0300

--Apple-Mail-23--794200026
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Mary's notes make it sound like it's too late? to get in her good =20
suggestion, i.e., possibly amending this proposed act (Bill C-429) to =20=

mandate sustainable harvesting for the timber.  We should all be =20
talking to our MPs about the issues, and Mary has stated the case =20
very well for older forests and biodiversity they support plus all =20
the ecological services they provide for us.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville (temporarily in B.C. until Monday).

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

> Parliament=92s West Block alone are estimated at $800 million. Again =20=

> not small potatoes. Also the intent is to use this act as a =20
> marketing tool to increase sales of canadian wood internationally. =20
> Strangely, the Bloc Quebecois, who introduced the bill, have the =20
> addled notion that building with wood will help reduce green-house =20
> gases.  How on earth does it do that?  It takes upwards of 50 years =20=

> to regrow a good lumber tree up here so cutting them down hurts; =20
> especially when you add in accelerated soil oxidation caused by the =20=

> clear cutting you'll need to do to get enough high quality timber =20
> to feed this new market. Anyway I have little sympathy for the =20
> industry. Apparently the government has spent about $1.5 billion in =20=

> the past several years propping it up. It would be a different =20
> thing perhaps if the bill stated that the wood used must be =20
> harvested sustainably.  I worry about old growth and near old =20
> growth stands that will be targeted if this is passed.
>
> From: dwebster@glinx.com
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] is anyone else concerned about the "wood =20
> first" act before parliament - seems like biomass issues redoubled =20
> if these moves across canada
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 21:37:23 -0300
>
> Hi Mary & All,                Nov 3, 2010
>     Briefly, forestry is a primary industry and primary industries =20
> generate the wealth that pay all bills. Sort of like photosynthesis =20=

> in the traditional Biological economy. So it is in everyone's =20
> interest to have a prosperous forestry industry.
>
>     Currently, for a host of reasons that are beyond the scope of =20
> Naturens, it is far from prosperous. An economic study of world-=20
> wide pulp production (about 2005 I think and expressed as cost per =20
> unit round wood landed at the mill) showed Atlantic Canada to have =20
> higher costs than any other pulp producing area.
>
>     To access good quality timber it is usually necessary/desirable =20=

> to cut the low grade wood as well and it helps generate profit if =20
> there is a market, such as pulp for this  wood.
>
>     As you may have noticed, pulp mills have been closing or =20
> threatening to close unless they get power breaks etc. The =20
> implosion of Abitibi Paper [where 100 shares had a market value of =20
> about $1000 in 2003 and, after giving effect to the Abitibi-Bowater =20=

> amalgamation where one Ab share became 0.06261 AB share in 2007, =20
> the resultant 6.261 shares now sell, at $0.035/share for,  ~$0.22; =20
> a rather dramatic loss of 99.978% over 7 years] is one measure of =20
> the perfect storm that has hit the pulp industry.
>
>     In addition the financial meltdown of 2008 has decreased the =20
> demand & price for lumber so the forest industry has had some very =20
> tough years on the heels of tough years and I expect many have had =20
> to sell their equipment for a song & move on.

--Apple-Mail-23--794200026

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Mary's notes make it sound like it's too late? to get in her good =
suggestion, i.e., possibly amending this proposed act (Bill C-429) to =
mandate sustainable harvesting for the timber. &nbsp;We should all be =
talking to our MPs about the issues, and Mary has stated the case very =
well for older forests and biodiversity they support plus all the =
ecological services they provide for us. =