[NatureNS] re successful invading ant species & traits shown

Cc: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:53:39 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I've been reading Natural History magazine, Oct. 2010 (available in
Halifax on newsstands at Daily Grind, big bookstore at Bayer's Lake,
and Paper Chase, etc.?), in which a column called "Life Zone: The
Next Wave" by Robert R. Dunn caught my eye.  His title for his latest
column is "What makes an invasive species stick?", and his subject is
just introduced kinds of ants.  I gather that Dunn's specialty is
social behaviour of animals.  He begins his column with a lot of
info' on Argentine ants, and one of this species' features is the
ability to exhibit many queens per colony and to form supercolonies,
even to the extent of having all the Argentine ants in a large area
of thousands or more hectares as members of a big supercolony or
"superorganism" (title of a great book on ants and termites I happen
to have).  In these supercolonies the chemical signatures of
individual ants from various widespread parts of the colony's home
range are sufficiently alike that they are recognized not as
foreigners but as friends.  Thus there is no fighting, and these
supercolonies can concentrate on living and gathering and growing.
In this way such species can end up outcompeting other species and
displacing them without being aggressive.

This trait of forming supercolonies seems to be characteristic of
successfully invading species of ants, and one interesting example he
gives is the European fire ant, Myrmica rubra, which has and is
succcessfully spreading in Nova Scotia, as we know now.

Unfortunately this column has not yet made it onto the
www.naturalhistory.com Web site, but I have inquired for help in
accessing it.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville (B.C. for a few more days)