[NatureNS] a question

Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:00:41 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_f/M2mGBA7nuHEtEFNj4rIw)

Hi Annabelle,

As Kathleen has indicated, individual variation, though subtle, does exist among Black-capped Chickadees as with any species. However, unless it is a difference caused by an accident (e.g. the bird is missing a toe) or one caused by genetics (e.g. Some/many/all feathers lacking pigment) you need to keep in mind that those differences are transient and will change or disappear as the bird moults its feathers or the feathers wear or break. In chickadees the moult takes place mostly in the month of September and should be completely finished by now so any subtle differences  you see should be good for quite a while.

Kathleen is correct. As with any type of bird marking, be it banding, wing tags, neck collars, color-marking of any kind, etc., a valid scientific research permit must be obtained from the Canadian Wildlife Service in order to carry it out.

All the best,

Lance