[NatureNS] Sibley's (electronic) Birds of North America

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:10:41 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016367b6070756b4804951c33b4

Hi,

I have an Iphone, and use 2 apps regularly - Ibird Pro and Sibley. Most
birders will be familiar with the printed version of Sibley, and this is
like having it handy in your pocket, complete with actual bird songs and
calls rather than just attampted written decriptions. The 2 apps are similar
but complementary. They also have links to Wikipedia articles etc.

E.g. while looking at the Bell's vireo yesterday I was able to listen to the
calls, compare them with the Chat, and look up all kinds of info. on line
about both, right then and there. I could also have posted the sighting on
line right then and there if I had wanted.

As I visit family in the UK from time to time, I bought an even better app
for birds over there, called Birds of N.Europe - which, incidentally, has
lots of info about Greylag geese.

Welcome to th21st century birding!

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016367b6070756b4804951c33b4

t birders will be familiar with the printed version of Sibley, and this is =
like having it handy in your pocket, complete with actual bird songs and ca=
lls rather than just attampted written decriptions. The 2 apps are similar =
but complementary. They also have=A0links to Wikipedia articles etc. </div>

ten to the calls, compare them with the Chat, and look up all kinds of info=
. on line about both, right then and there. I could also have posted the si=
ghting on line right then and there if I had wanted.</div>

 app for birds over there, called Birds of N.Europe - which, incidentally, =
has lots of info about Greylag geese.</div>
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com">m.bruce.s=
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Hi All,<br><br>I dove head first=
 into the smartphone market this weekend and can already see the birding be=
nefits of this tool. Foremost, it gives the birder the ability to post a re=
port to NS-RBA immediately provided there is cellular coverage as we have a=
lready been seeing from a Blackberry post here and a &quot;sent from my iPh=
one&quot; there. Furthermore, there are now birding e-books and application=
s available for android phones, Apple iphones, and iPods, including Sibley&=
#39;s Birds of North America in various forms since June 2010. While the pr=
ice for Sibley&#39;s is pretty much top dollar $30, it might be useful to s=
ome in the field, or even as a more portable complement to the paper guide.=

tunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sibley-eguide-to-birds/id354101483?mt=3D8" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sibley-eguide-to-birds/id35=
4101483?mt=3D8</a><br>

m/2010/11/android-eguide-now-available/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.sible=
listed as &quot;coming soon&quot;.<br>

uide for apple products (Apr 2010):<br><br><a href=3D"http://itunes.apple.c=
om/ca/app/national-geographics-handheld/id315268465?mt=3D8" target=3D"_blan=
k">http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/national-geographics-handheld/id315268465=
?mt=3D8</a><br>

ormat, so far of note is Sibley&#39;s Birding Basics:<br><br><a href=3D"htt=
p://www.amazon.com/Sibleys-Birding-Basics-ebook/dp/B001O1O7EO/ref=3Dsr_1_1?=
ie=3DUTF8&amp;m=3DAZC9TZ4UC9CFC&amp;s=3Ddigital-text&amp;qid=3D1289846605&a=
mp;sr=3D1-1" target=3D"_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Sibleys-Birding-Basics=
-ebook/dp/B001O1O7EO/ref=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&amp;m=3DAZC9TZ4UC9CFC&amp;s=3Dd=
igital-text&amp;qid=3D1289846605&amp;sr=3D1-1</a><br>

br>
B0P 1T0<br>
B0P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail=

--0016367b6070756b4804951c33b4--